This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#3648 by southsound
Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:58 pm
Dennis,

Here are the results:

WEB100 Enabled Statistics:
Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
checking for firewalls . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
running 10s outbound test (client-to-server [C2S]) . . . . . 749.0kb/s
running 10s inbound test (server-to-client [S2C]) . . . . . . 1.24Mb/s

------ Client System Details ------
OS data: Name = Windows XP, Architecture = x86, Version = 5.1
Java data: Vendor = Sun Microsystems Inc., Version = 1.6.0_07

------ Web100 Detailed Analysis ------
Cable modem/DSL/T1 link found.
Link set to Full Duplex mode
Information: throughput is limited by other network traffic.
Good network cable(s) found
Normal duplex operation found.

Web100 reports the Round trip time = 119.78 msec; the Packet size = 1452 Bytes; and
There were 15 packets retransmitted, 93 duplicate acks received, and 103 SACK blocks received
The connection was idle 0 seconds (0%) of the time
S2C throughput test: Packet queuing detected: 94.83%
This connection is network limited 99.78% of the time.

Web100 reports TCP negotiated the optional Performance Settings to:
RFC 2018 Selective Acknowledgment: ON
RFC 896 Nagle Algorithm: ON
RFC 3168 Explicit Congestion Notification: OFF
RFC 1323 Time Stamping: OFF
RFC 1323 Window Scaling: ON

Server 'ndt.iupui.nuq01.measurement-lab.org' is not behind a firewall. [Connection to the ephemeral port was successful]
Client is probably behind a firewall. [Connection to the ephemeral port failed]
Information: Network Middlebox is modifying MSS variable
Server IP addresses are preserved End-to-End
Information: Network Address Translation (NAT) box is modifying the Client's IP address
Server says [97.1xx.23.2xx] but Client says [172.xx.35.1xx]

A second test showed slightly higher throuput in both directions. I hope this helps.
#3844 by Dennis P
Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:11 pm
We are continuing to pursue a solution through our carrier partner. In the meantime, the latency on your link looks unusually high with a round trip time (RTT) of almost 120msec. If you run this test multiple times, do you always observe this high of a number? I'm expecting something closer to 30 msec from Washington to Silicon Valley. This concerns me because a high latency can exasperate echo problems. Who is your Internet service provider and which plan do you have?
#3848 by southsound
Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:34 pm
Dennis P,

I have Qwest's 1.5MB DSL "Silver" with Microsoft as the ISP. It is the only product available, and I am only about 1000' from the RTE. I ran the test several more times, and each time got a similar round trip - from 119 to 122 msec. There is a note on the test results: Information: Other network traffic is congesting the link . My computer is normally connected to the ooma via a Netgear NS108 switch, but I also tried the computer directly connected to the ooma and found the same result.
#3852 by southsound
Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:05 pm
Dennis P,

I did some more testing. I called Texas, So. Cal, Campbell, Anaheim, Wilsonville OR, and Downer's Grove IL. (Yes, they were all Fry's locations - but I wanted a variety of cities.) All of the calls were great. It is only on ones in the 360 area code that have bad echo. I also have the echo on BOTH ends when someone local calls me.

I know that I'm just grasping at straws, but I do have a second number: 424 245-xxxx. What would happen if we made that my main number? At the begining of my ooma experience, I had a 310 492-xxxx number that worked very well. It was only after I had Bobby B get me a local number - which worked well until I got the strange XO announcement: "A call from this phone number is invalid. Please call nexlink customer service for assistance. Seattle 58." that I've had the echo problems. You can check the original post for more information on this.
#4054 by Soundjudgment
Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:37 am
"" but I do have a second number: 424 245-xxxx. What would happen if we made that my main number? ""

I would JUMP at it! Not only is it working better technically... but it is a rare number prefix that isn't pocked with goofy "9"s and "0"s and "1"s digits as most portable and VoIP numbers are. The phone carriers love to sell those contaminated lists in large block-pools to rival VoIP companies, as it is less profitable for them to offer faulty letter-combinations to paying businesses.

As a result you should be able to translate one of the phone numbers available into an interesting WORD combination to remember. Here is one free website you can check to see what letter combinations are possible for a given phone number:

http://www.phonespell.org/
#4057 by southsound
Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:51 am
Soundjudgement,

I had the ooma tech department try using 424 245-xxxx as my main ooma number - and even had them try one from a different rate center in Olympia (360 539-xxxx). None of them solved the problem. I have had several interactive testing sessions with ooma and they are working with their partners to solve the problem. They gave me several choices, and I opted to go with the one that I believe would have the most positive results for not just my experience but for others (like anrufer) who had similar problems in this area code. This morning, I had one stellar call - and one not so stellar - to a local landline. I think if I give them a few more days, they will have it under control.

Some have commented on slow answering or even lacking technical support. I have found that their support is wonderful, even if we have to wait a while for the call to be answered. What other company would spend so much time trying to make the purchaser of a $250 device happy? Most would just say, "send it back and move on - we can't afford to spend any more time on you." Three cheers for ooma having a different attitude.
#4450 by southsound
Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:22 pm
Just thought than an update was required since this has moved to page 7 of the active threads - and I still do not have a "Normal" telephone experience.

I must admit that I have had no problem reaching technical support. Wait time is typically over 20 minutes, but I use a wireless headset so I can listen to ooma's music on hold almost forever. Couple of thoughts for ooma: Please do an extended track for music on hold. Your current several songs repeat at least 10 times while I am waiting for a person to answer. If you had more tracks available, it would make passing the time more interesting. Saturday night I woke up to use the bathroom and when I returned to bed, I was humming one of the songs. My wife doesn't quite understand where I learned the song.

On to the echo problem. I talked to Jason today. He said that the technical team and their director was meeting about my problem as we were speaking. He said that they created an account with a number one digit off from my ooma number and were able to repeat the problem. Great! I asked him to have someone call me after their meeting to let me know what to expect or to at least have some type of update. Sorry, I guess that was too much to ask.

So here I sit, wanting to love the ooma experience. Wanting to love the technical support people who have already spent hours trying to make my ooma unit work. Wanting not to take it back to Costco and buy another MagicJack - which DID work without echo.

Tomorrow I will try making a couple of calls to management. I have on my list Andrew Frame, Eric Stang, Rich Buchanan, Toby Farrand, Dennis Pang, and Aaron Duran. I may not reach all of them, but from past experience, I will reach at least a couple. Sometimes the only way to reach them is at home because they are rather insulated at the office. It is amazing what a call to an executive's home at 9:30PM will do. I'll report back with my results.
#4480 by southsound
Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:12 am
Update: 10:10AM on Thursday.

No call yet from ooma regarding what they discussed their meeting regarding my echo problem, so I have started my escalation campaign.

I was able to leave a voice message for Toby Farrand, ooma's VP of Engineering Operations. I was extremely polite but asked for a call back so we could discuss my situation.

I did find home numbers of two of the executive team, but I will not use them except as a last resort. I really am trying to play by the rules, but the lack of communication is starting to get to me.
#4791 by southsound
Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:14 pm
Update: 5:05 Monday

As promised, I suspended my "call an executive a day" program hoping to get a call today from ooma saying things were good. I got the call around noon, but things were not good. Richard left me a message that they still had not resolved the issue. When I got home, I called and got through to Jose. My first rather tenuous experience when he said, "I understand your concern" several times during our fruitless conversation. How many times have I heard that from some out-of-country support person reading from a script. He could not escalate to anyone else, so maybe it really was an outsourced person. I didn't think to ask.

So, since my first rant on February 24, still no satisfaction on obtaining a "normal" telephone experience. The echo is so strong that I cannot use ooma for local calls - and it seems like it is also on some incoming ones.

I have again started my calls to ooma executives. I have also made it easy to find this forum entry: ooma.info is my new website with a pointer to this post. Maybe someday ooma will fix my service and I'll donate the domain to them. For now, http://www.ooma.info points here. You can also send me email at robin@ooma.info
#4798 by southsound
Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:38 pm
Tonight I got a call from a member of the ooma executive team. Nice fellow who was very pleasant and reassuring. He told me that they could do some things that would cause the calls to route differently and should be able to improve my service. He will be working with the technical team that has already been dealing with my problem and expects a resolution in just a couple of days.

I know that ooma is still in startup mode and because of this they don't have 100 bizillion customers, but I find it incredible that he would take the time to call me personally instead of having his admin make the call. I have confidence that very soon I will be able to count myself among the ranks of satisfied ooma customers!

If others are having similar or other problems my recommendation is that you don't rely on impersonal email to tell ooma of the problem. Call their support line when you have the time to wait for a person to answer (could be anywhere from 5 to 35 minutes from my experience). Be concise, plolite, and don't assume they know about your experience before you describe it in detail. These folks really do care an want you to be happy!