This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#54983 by jacque
Fri May 07, 2010 9:08 pm
My speed tests show that latency is extremely variable and unreliable, so I want to call Comcast and ask for a newer cable modem. Since they also provide VOIP services, I'm not sure they'll agree to swap out my modem to accomodate a competitive service, especially since all other internet access is pretty good. Should I just expain why I want the new modem? Or would it be better to use some other explanation?

I can't really claim packet loss because there isn't any. Upload and download speeds are good. What would you tell them? Are there some magic keywords I can drop that will sound good?
#54986 by murphy
Sat May 08, 2010 1:59 am
jacque wrote:My speed tests show that latency is extremely variable and unreliable, so I want to call Comcast and ask for a newer cable modem. Since they also provide VOIP services, I'm not sure they'll agree to swap out my modem to accomodate a competitive service, especially since all other internet access is pretty good. Should I just expain why I want the new modem? Or would it be better to use some other explanation?

I can't really claim packet loss because there isn't any. Upload and download speeds are good. What would you tell them? Are there some magic keywords I can drop that will sound good?

You are renting a modem from Comcast. You don't have to give them any reason for wanting a newer modem. If there is a local Comcast office near you, take the modem in and ask for a replacement.
#55296 by ultradsa
Tue May 11, 2010 12:24 pm
You can get a very nice Cable modem for $20 with free shipping off of Newegg, no need to rent a modem when you can just buy one. By the 5th month you will be saving at least $5 per month for not renting one. Not to ention you will have more options and features at your finger tips.
#55419 by fishhawk
Thu May 13, 2010 9:12 am
ultradsa wrote:You can get a very nice Cable modem for $20 with free shipping off of Newegg, no need to rent a modem when you can just buy one. By the 5th month you will be saving at least $5 per month for not renting one. Not to ention you will have more options and features at your finger tips.

I checked Newegg, and didn't find one at that price. What brand/model? I did find a Linksys CM100 for $65 that looked pretty good, but I have a feeling Time Warner won't let me connect my own modem (at least my bill doesn't show an extra charge for the modem).
#55432 by Soundjudgment
Thu May 13, 2010 11:07 am
Sure they will. All of them do so. You just call with the MAC address of the shiny new modem.

And if they continue to play any smart games, play one of your own: Tell them to, "Hold a sec? I think I hear the Verizon Installation truck heading down our block." BAM! You watch them jump through hoops. ;)
#55440 by sfhub
Thu May 13, 2010 11:55 am
Soundjudgment wrote:Tell them to, "Hold a sec? I think I hear the Verizon Installation truck heading down our block." BAM! You watch them jump through hoops. ;)

I think it is advantageous to tell them that regardless of whether you are getting a new modem. You never know what they'll offer you :)
#55458 by jacque
Thu May 13, 2010 2:46 pm
Sorry, I just noticed this thread had responses.
What kind of result do you get when you test using http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html

Jitter should be less than 5 ms.
Packet loss should be 0.
Download and upload QOS should be at least 70%.
Maximum TCP delay should be under 100 ms.

I meet those specs mostly. I've run seven or eight tests there but I only saved the results from four. Jitter is under 5 for all tests, packet loss is always 0. QoS varies a lot, here are 4 tests:

Download quality of service: 11 % Upload quality of service: 52 %
Download quality of service: 91 % Upload quality of service: 53 %
Download quality of service: 83 % Upload quality of service: 98 %
Download quality of service: 86 % Upload quality of service: 65 %

And maximum TCP delay also varies a lot:
Maximum TCP delay: 491 ms
Maximum TCP delay: 146 ms
Maximum TCP delay: 54 ms
Maximum TCP delay: 69 ms

Odd, hm?

I think it is advantageous to tell them that regardless of whether you are getting a new modem. You never know what they'll offer you :)

It's Comcast and they don't care. I called them first, before finding out about Ooma, and asked their rates. They wanted the same as I'm paying with Qwest. So I asked if that was the best they could do and they said yes. Then I said I was going to look into other VOIP services instead, and they mumbled "OkayThanksForCallingQwest" and hung up.

The last I checked -- which was a while ago -- Comcast wanted you to use their modem. Apparently times have changed. But I'm not so sure my problems were with the modem any more. See the Undying Thread in the Installation forum. If you can't find it, ask SFhub, he knows all about it. :)
#55459 by lbmofo
Thu May 13, 2010 2:57 pm
That'll be "Network issues and setup problems" ;)

Have you checked out your modem?

murphy wrote:Try this. Connect to the status web page in your cable modem

http://192.168.100.1

Find the downstream and upstream power in dBmV and the Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR) and report back.

The downstream signal power should be between -10 and +10 dBmV. (Some say between -15 and +15 but I feel that is pushing your luck)

The SNR should be 35 or more.

The upstream power level should be less than 55 dBmV.
#55460 by sfhub
Thu May 13, 2010 3:02 pm
jacque wrote:

It's Comcast and they don't care. I called them first, before finding out about Ooma, and asked their rates. They wanted the same as I'm paying with Qwest. So I asked if that was the best they could do and they said yes. Then I said I was going to look into other VOIP services instead, and they mumbled "OkayThanksForCallingQwest" and hung up.

You were doing things in the wrong order. You are supposed to sign up for Comcast first, then call them and tell them you are thinking about canceling and switching to Qwest (for example, because Comcast jitter isn't acceptable). You get transferred to a different dept that has access to the goodies. That's from a while back so I don't know what their current policies are.