This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#54848 by theo1958
Wed May 05, 2010 7:15 pm
I came across several gadgets available to enable rotary dial phones to be used on VOIP systems. Here's just one:
http://www.dialgizmo.com/index.html

Anyhow, it states that it draws it power from the tiny amount of power available in the VOIP lines. Has anyone tried one of these gadgets and got it to work? Also, how much power is in the ooma phone line? ......assume there is no use of the old landline wiring.

Thank you.
#54849 by lbmofo
Wed May 05, 2010 8:52 pm
Oh my, you can buy a nice cordless phone set with $50 :o
#54882 by theo1958
Thu May 06, 2010 11:04 am
For the same reason I have spent thousands restoring antique cars and boats that really serve no daily purpose than personal fulfillment... I like to, it makes me feel good, I like to 'remember' the good old days every now and then....

There is no better way to appreciate today's modern technology, like OOMA, than to occasionally look back at the past and see how far we have come.

Operator, give me long distance..........
#122204 by oomamaniacal
Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:09 pm
theo1958 wrote:I came across several gadgets available to enable rotary dial phones to be used on VOIP systems. Here's just one:
http://www.dialgizmo.com/index.html

Anyhow, it states that it draws it power from the tiny amount of power available in the VOIP lines. Has anyone tried one of these gadgets and got it to work? Also, how much power is in the ooma phone line? ......assume there is no use of the old landline wiring.

Thank you.

I tried using a Dialgizmo with a rotary Princess phone. It produced the tones perfectly for the numbers, but I could never get it to produce the "star" or "hash" tones. This was supposed to work by briefly holding your finger against the stop before letting go (aka "dial hold'). Speed dial worked the same way, but that did not work for me either. I was not able to test it on a POTS line (only Ooma) and I only had one rotary phone, so I don't know if the device was defective or if it just did not work well with Ooma or with Princess phones. The manufacturer is in Australia and never responded to my customer service inquiries.

I heard that Vonage supports rotary dialing, but I am not going to switch to Vonage. (Whoops, I mentioned the "V" word.)

It looks like my only other option is an internal device called the "Rotatone."

Has anyone had complete success using these devices with Ooma? Which phone model did you use? Did you test it on more than one phone?
Last edited by oomamaniacal on Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.