This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.

QOS

#53908 by gtjr92
Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:00 am
I have a Linux Based IPCop Firewall and My ooma site sits behind the firewall. I have QOS setup for OOMA in my firewall.
I also setup the QOS on the OOMA device as well. I am wondering though if it is really necessary for me to set up the Qos on my OOMA Telo since my firewall will do the same thing, and possibly a better job of it.
At the moment my phones work well, but I have not done a lot of testing while uploading/download files.
Thoughts??
Thanks
#53909 by murphy
Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:16 am
Ooma's QOS controls data flow for whatever is connected to it's Home port.
You didn't give us the rest of your configuration so it's not possible to answer your question.
#53910 by gtjr92
Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:49 am
Oh I see. I have nothing plugged into the OOMA home network port. So I guess firewall is doing all of the QOS work??, Duh should have thought about that.
I am not sure what else you are looking for as far as my configuration?? Maybe the info I just provided is all you need to know??
#53918 by murphy
Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:52 am
gtjr92 wrote:Oh I see. I have nothing plugged into the OOMA home network port. So I guess firewall is doing all of the QOS work??, Duh should have thought about that.
I am not sure what else you are looking for as far as my configuration?? Maybe the info I just provided is all you need to know??

If you have nothing connected to Ooma's Home port, Ooma QOS is not needed. Set both of the QOS values in the Ooma setup page to 0 which disables the QOS capability.
#53922 by gtjr92
Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:59 am
Thanks, I was thinking that all along, but you helped confirm it.