This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#53818 by Lyndon
Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:17 pm
I have experienced poor call quality in several aspects. Echo, broken voice, conversation is one sided.
I have DSL with Qwest, and have 3 meg level.
I used the suggested check, and got these numbers.
VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.0 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 24.9 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 3.8

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 2056880 bps
Upload speed: 551632 bps
Download quality of service: 43 %
Upload quality of service: 99 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 175 ms
Average download pause: 5 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 203 ms
Average round trip time to server: 228 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 2640000bps
Route concurrency: 1.2834973
Download TCP forced idle: 13 %
Maximum route speed: 2582656bps
And the general comment was I had a QoS of 43%, meaning poor service.
I had written about my problem to Ooma, and received a reply to try another site, http://www.pingtest.net
which gave me a B rating.
The Ooma person told me to go into my advanced settings and set my upstream to 500 kbps from 384. I believe I may have changed some of the other settings and couldn't find a thread here to suggest what I should put in.
I contacted Qwest, and they have been close to worthless, suggesting that my poor connection is my router, to just about anything but them. But could it be my settings?
Thanks for any help,
Lyndon
#53820 by Lyndon
Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:15 pm
Me again, just didn't want to add to the first post.
So, it is 2 hours later, an hour from midnight, and I run the test again and get much better results. What can I do with this inconsistent service?
VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.0 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.7 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 2642264 bps
Upload speed: 551744 bps
Download quality of service: 99 %
Upload quality of service: 99 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 6 ms
Average download pause: 4 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 79 ms
Average round trip time to server: 79 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 2642264bps
Route concurrency: 1.0
Download TCP forced idle: 0 %
Maximum route speed: 6636448bps
#53823 by southsound
Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:55 pm
First off, welcome to ooma and to the forum. Now as to your problem - your first results would give you the quality problems you are experiencing and I would guess that either there was a problem with the provider's system (maybe a bad line card in the RTE that serves your home) or your modem. Then your second test reveals that the quality of your connection is anything but stable. I would continue to take tests and copy the results in a log. Then, after a few days, call Qwest and talk to their technical support people. Your connection quality should not vary that much unless something is wrong. I have Qwest 1.5/768 and some months ago my download speed went to about 220 kbps. I did some logging and then called - it turned out that 3 of the 4 trunks that served our RTE (Remote Terminal Equipment) were flakey. The problem was affecting most of our island but no one else complained so when I did, they fixed things for many others as well. The Qwest technicians can do some great testing but your logs will be of great assistance and will prove the problem is real. Let us know how things work out.
#53825 by Lyndon
Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:12 pm
Thank you, SouthSound
I will follow through with your suggestions.
How does one troubleshoot their modem to see if it is at fault?
Mine is a Motorola Qwest 3347

Lyndon
#53845 by southsound
Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:54 am
Lyndon wrote:Thank you, SouthSound
I will follow through with your suggestions.
How does one troubleshoot their modem to see if it is at fault?
Mine is a Motorola Qwest 3347

Lyndon

I went to Walmart and bought a new one with the assurance I could return it if needed. I bought an Actiontec 5000 since my existing was an older Actiontec. It was great to be able to show the Qwest technician the logs that showed the same results with the new modem as the old. And true to their word, Wally's took the modem back without a question.
#53849 by Lyndon
Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:22 am
Southsound,
I didn't do it well as you, but did the same thing, as I was "given" the ActionTec when I signed up, only to see that it didn't have the wireless attachment and they wanted to charge me for that attachment.
Anyway, I dug it up on the first go around with Qwest, and reported the same problems.
I got this email this morning from "Q"
I understand from your trouble report that you are having an intermittent connection issue with your VoIP connection. I have checked your line and I do see a problem with our equipment that you connect to. I also found that there is already a dispatch set up to have a technician go out and resolve this problem later today ( Sunday). Once this issue is resolved your speed should be fine.

Yeah, I'll believe it when I see the person. They said this a month ago, and then I arranged a time that I was going to be there, and physically see the repairman. He never showed up, and when I contacted Q, they said he had come the day before.
I should have gone back to Comcrap a long time ago. I feel it is a monopoly when there are only two ISP's in the game, and both are subpar.
Ran the test this morning, and had good QoS, but will run it again now, and am keeping a log, Southsound. :|
#54276 by Soundjudgment
Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:41 pm
Yes, if there is no FiOS (fiber) service yet in your area, then Comcrap is the next best(sic) thing.
#54301 by Lyndon
Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:29 pm
Service consistency has improved, but if I download even the smallest item, and at a very slow rate, pow! I get high jitter rate, and poor reception.
I will look at returning to Comcast after this month, though they are not offering much. The year deal is for a low 1 MB download speed, and the 5 megs I had before is close to $50/month. Plus, a 5 gig monthly download limit. What a crock.
Lyndon