This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#53610 by huggybear
Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:41 am
I keep getting people I talk to complaining about my voice sounding "jumpy". Also have had a couple dropped calls. I upped my Internet to make sure I have what I need for Ooma, or so I thought. I have had Ooma for 10 days and would like the jumpy voice issue resolved especially, but the call dropping is also a pain. Any ideas anyone?
Thanks so much!
#53617 by lbmofo
Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:22 pm
May be a problem with your internet service. How do VoIP quality tests look?

Jitter should be less than 5 ms.
Packet loss should be 0.
Download and upload QOS should be at least 70%.
Maximum TCP delay should be under 100 ms.

Do you have cable or DSL?
#53626 by huggybear
Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:56 pm
Ok, when I test I get way different on some things than what you are saying. It says my TCP is 6.55. It doesn't give a percentage for upload & download, but gives upload at 2.11 mbpv & upload at 424. It says my jitter is 5.7 and packet loss is 0.
I have DSL.
#53638 by lbmofo
Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:48 pm
Could you post the results from the Advanced tab? There is an option to get the results in text format so you can copy and paste.
#53764 by huggybear
Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:39 am
Hi, I can try the Advanced test again & write down what it says. I know this sounds really weird to people, but I have no
idea how to "cut, copy & paste". My son refuses to show me anymore as I don't use it often enough & then forget how to
do it. I 'm so sorry, but when I went to school, computers were as large as a room and the thought of having one in your home was light years away. Thanks for your efforts however. I'm just a bit dismayed at what was advertised to be "simple".
#53765 by lbmofo
Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:01 am
Now worries huggybear. :)

When you initially click on "Click to start test" button, there are only 2 tabs: VoIP and Speed.

Then, after the test is all done, 3 more tabs show up:

Graph
Summary
Advnaced

This is where you get the Summary tab shown to you.

Click on the Advanced tab and on the lower right, you'll see "View text."

Click on this "View text" and when a new window shows up with the results in text format, select all text and right mouse click to copy.
#53771 by huggybear
Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:09 am
If you mean to highlight the text version & then right click, I can do that. Only problem is when I right click on the text it does nothing. Doesn't matter whether or not I highlight it, it still does nothing. Perhaps I'm supposed to go back to landline.
#53772 by southsound
Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:19 am
huggybear wrote:If you mean to highlight the text version & then right click, I can do that. Only problem is when I right click on the text it does nothing. Doesn't matter whether or not I highlight it, it still does nothing. Perhaps I'm supposed to go back to landline.

You might try it this way - highlight the text and then, while holding down the control key (Ctrl) press C. This will create a copy. Then, while in the reply posting screen for the forum, again hold down the control key and press V. This will paste the content you just copied.

Tip: This works on most web screens - even if they have turned off the right-click context menus.
#53773 by huggybear
Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:28 am
Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 2540672 bps
Upload speed: 428096 bps
Download quality of service: 88 %
Upload quality of service: 47 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 123 ms
Average download pause: 12 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 20 ms
Average round trip time to server: 23 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 2540672bps
Route concurrency: 1.0
Download TCP forced idle: 0 %
Maximum route speed: 26214000bps

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 2540672 bps
Upload speed: 428096 bps
Download quality of service: 88 %
Upload quality of service: 47 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 123 ms
Average download pause: 12 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 20 ms
Average round trip time to server: 23 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 2540672bps
Route concurrency: 1.0
Download TCP forced idle: 0 %
Maximum route speed: 26214000bps

Oh heck! That worked!! I can't believe it. Thanks again...............