This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#53385 by worksong
Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:00 pm
My Telo worked fine, but I recently began backing up online, which means massive, continuous uploads. The ooma line immediately became unusable.

Testing with online backup paused, I found jitter @ .5ms, packet loss @ 0, upload speed @ 771k, & QoS @ 95%.
With the backup running, I found jitter @ 112ms, packet loss @ 0, upload speed @ 389k, & QoS @ 75%.

I know nothing about jitter, but it sure appears to be the problem. Anyone have any ideas on how to correct?

FYI--I changed the default ooma upload speed to 600K, which is conservative. No other changes. cable modem > ooma > router

Thanks.
#53392 by tommies
Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:26 pm
It will be a problem (as with bittorren) until you tame it down with proper QoS setting.

I have move ooma to behind my router for a long while to really offer any inside of setting QoS on the telo. Hang in there, there are quite a few folks with the same setup as your, and certainly some will offer some tips to help with setting QoS on the telo.
#53394 by worksong
Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:42 pm
Thanks...but I'm confused. Doesn't positioning ooma behind the router DECREASE QoS??

BTW--further testing shows jitter while backup running is up to 243 ms, with 2% packet loss. I need to find a way to control so these 2 essential services can coexist.
#53402 by DTMF
Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:20 pm
Most home Internet connections have ~20x as much download capacity as upload capacity. Think of it as downloading through a garden hose and uploading through a narrow coffee straw. :o

Upload capacity is critical to the quality of your voice getting to Ooma's network. Your online backup is swamping that capacity and leaving almost nothing for Ooma while it is pushing GB of your data through that coffee-straw sized upload pipe! If QoS or putting the Ooma device behind a router aren't desirable options, maybe you could set up your online backup to do it's pushing of bits overnight, while you're asleep and almost certain to be off of the phone?
#53618 by Soundjudgment
Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:23 pm
worksong wrote: cable modem > ooma > router
Thanks.

cable modem > router > ooma
You're welcome.

P.S. The backup services that are worth their weight all have the option to 'lower' their operational and delivery-speed (Some call it, "CPU overhead reduction"). Use that feature as well.
#53698 by JTalbert
Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:05 am
What backup program are you using? I had Carbonite for a while on my Mac, but got rid of it because of another issue, it was not doing backups, Carbonite was freezing, had nothing to do with my network.

What does the 'Low Priority' option do?
The Low Priority option causes Carbonite to slow down its use of the Internet so as not to interfere with other Internet-intensive hardware/software such as VoIP telephony (e.g., Skype and Vonage).

Technical Details
Carbonite reduces its packet size from 8,000 bytes to 1,400 bytes and sends only one packet at a time instead of streaming multiple packets.

That is from carbonites website, other backup systems should have the same type of functionality which would make backups work with VOIP servies. Once I changed mine to low priority it was a big improvement.