This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#53466 by dcandmc
Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:26 pm
Aveamantium wrote:Not sure about how important it is to get the newest Firmware but yours is running a pretty old version. QOS at the VoIP site is measuring how consistent your speed is. In other words if it fluxuates then you'll get a bad score. I occasionally get a bad score but it has never caused me voice issues. Jitter is a much bigger problem to solve and it looks like you did that. If you call quality is good don't worry about Qos. As for speeds is the 2.9 down and 0.24 up what you're paying for? If not, and you're not getting help through comcast go here http://www.dslreports.com/forum/comcastdirect and post your problem, "ComcastSteve" will take care of you. If you have the wrong speeds then your modem has the wrong config file (by the way you can't check your config file with a SB6120, only Comcast will know what you have unless it is listed in your logs).

I'm on the 3Mbps plan, so it appears that I am getting what I'm paying for. All the Comcast plans here are limited to a max upload speed of 256Kbps. Unfortunately, I can't test call quality now because I'm waiting for my number to port and I didn't request a temporary number. I'm tring to resolve any possible issues before I switch over to VoIP. I guess from here I'll just have to wait until the port is complete and see how things work out. With the jitter problem resolved and speed apparently OK, I'll take your advice and not worry about the QOS number until/if it really is a problem.

Thanks for all your help. Oh, and how would I go about updating the firmware for the new modem?
#53467 by Aveamantium
Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:31 pm
Mine updated to the latest firmware the minute I plugged it in. You might try powercycling it to see if it goes out and grabs the new Firmware. If not your area may not be pushing it (your version was released in April of last year). If it bothers you then check with Comcast Direct on the link I posted earlier. I think you'll be fine though! Keep your eyes/ears open for the Docsis 3 update in your area as they should bump your speed for free (we went from the 6/2 to 12/4 here).
#53486 by dcandmc
Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:28 am
Aveamantium wrote:Keep your eyes/ears open for the Docsis 3 update in your area as they should bump your speed for free (we went from the 6/2 to 12/4 here).

I can't imagine that Comcast would make my service better in any way and not figure out a way to charge me for it.
#53616 by Soundjudgment
Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:14 pm
Well, look at it this way: when they finally do get up to 21st Century speeds in your service area, you will already have the modem installed which can handle it.