This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#52274 by raindrop
Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:11 pm
I have the Ooma hub directly connected to the DSL modem, a network switch connected to Ooma hub and every other device is connected to that switch. So all the traffic has to go through the Ooma hub. Folloing is the diagram of my network.

DSL Modem <-- Ooma hub <-- Network Switch <---- All the devices on the network

I have configured the Qos settings and allocated the bandwidth to the calls. But I was having trouble with the outgoing voice. Callers were complaining that my voice is breaking up but I can hear them just fine.

So as an experiment I left Ooma hub connected to the DSL modem and disconnected all other devices and network switch fom the Ooma hub and to my surprise all voice qualityissues went away. So I thought some device on the network is causing the trouble.

Then I started connecting all the devices one by one and noticed that a bit torrent client on a set top box (Popcorn Hour) is causing the voice quality issues in Ooma hub. The traffic does not need to be heavy, even 40Kbps inbound and 8Kbps outbound is enough to cause breakup in the outgoing voice. Changing QoS settings in Ooma has no effect on this torrent client. Obviously Ooma's QoS settings are not throttling this bit torrent client. However all other web traffic (i.e you tube videos) has no effect on the call quality since Ooma hub's Qos system takes care of it. I also changed the ports on the bit torrent client and tried to forward those ports in Ooma hub so that Ooma hub may 'see' those ports, but that did not help either.

Has anyone else having similar trouble where Ooma hub is not throttling certain type of traffic? Is there any fix for this situation?

Thanks.
#53271 by Soundjudgment
Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:00 pm
"" I started connecting all the devices one by one and noticed that a bit torrent client on a set top box (Popcorn Hour) is causing the voice quality issues in Ooma hub. ""

BINGO! VoIP quality can never compete with BT. And on old-style DSL connectivity?? Forget it. BT will always win and gobble up your limited bandwidth.
#59208 by raindrop
Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:20 pm
Soundjudgment wrote:BINGO! VoIP quality can never compete with BT. And on old-style DSL connectivity?? Forget it. BT will always win and gobble up your limited bandwidth.

I think you should know it already but this is the exact scenario when Ooma's QoS feature should prioritize the network traffic. Here is an excerpt from the article published on Ooma's website by their tech support staff.

Configuring Quality of Service

Ooma has engineered the Quality of Service (QoS) feature to greatly enhance overall voice quality under congested network conditions. For example, if you are on an Ooma phone call and decide to engage in several network bandwidth intensive tasks (such as a BitTorrent upload, sending a large email attachment, streaming a Slingbox video to a friend), the person on the other end of the phone call may complain about your voice dropping out during a call. With QoS enabled, your voice will sound clear even under congested network conditions.
Last edited by raindrop on Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#59212 by raindrop
Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:57 pm
Alright I have found another scenario where Ooma hub's QoS feature does not manage the network bandwidth so that the VOIP traffic is prioritized above the other types of network traffic.

I have recently installed a remote desktop software called 'TeamViewer' on one of my home laptops. I have all the home network traffic pass through the Ooma hub as described in my first post, so that Ooma's QoS feature prioritizes the VOIP traffic. I use TeamViewer to connect to my laptop from work. I was talking to one of my family member at home from my office and Ooma's Voice quality was good. Then while talking, I initiated a connection to the TeamViewer client installed on my home laptop and I noticed that suddenly voice started breaking up. I disconnected the TeamViewer connection and voice qulity went back to normal.

Over the last couple of weeks I have tried it few more time and each time call voice started breaking up as soon as I initiate a TeamViewer connection. It is pretty clear that Ooma Hub's QoS feature is not throttling the network traffic generated by TeamViewer.

I was wondering if anyone else has noticed the same thing? BTW TeamViewer is free, so feel free to experiment :D .
Thanks.
#60169 by raindrop
Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:42 am
I have found yet another scenario where Ooma Hub's QoS feature is not managing the network bandwidth so that voice quality can be maintained even under congested network conditions.

I have recently installed a new web browser called Opera (v 10.54). It has a built-in torrent client and I decided to try its client to see how well does it work. While talking over the Ooma phone line, I have noticed that lots of people are reporting outgoing voice breaking up while Oper's torrent client is active. So to confirm this, I called from my cell phone to my Ooma number while Opera's torrent was active and voice was indeed breaking up. Voice quality improved after disabling the torrent client.

After few more experiments I have noticed the degradation in the voice quality does not depend upon the speed of the torrents being downloaded. Even if single torrent is being downloaded at 10 kbps & uploaded at only 4kbps, it is enough to cause the voice break-up. On the positive note the heaviest web traffic (for example: multiple you tube videos being streamed on separate PCs) does not cause the vice break-up. So I'd imagine Ooma Hub's QoS is pretty good atleast at throttling HTTP protocol based network traffic.

Has anyone else noticed same thing. Again Opera is free, so feel free to experiment .
Thanks.