This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#52101 by GJOoma
Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:59 am
I am sure there is a post about this but I cannot find it.

When making calls, call quality is great except for an annoying clicking noise every 10 seconds or so. Anybody know how to tweak the settings?

Thanks
#52105 by southsound
Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:17 pm
Can you please tell us a little about your configuration:
- Cable or DSL Internet connection?
- Wired phone or cordless - if cordless, what band? 2.4 ghz, 5.8 ghz, 900 mhz, or DECT 6.0?
- Do you have a landline integrated - that is, plugged into the wall port or are you using a new ooma number?
- Have you wired your system to provide dialtone throughout the house? If so, did you disconnect the house wiring at the NIB?

The answers to these questions will help us troubleshoot your problem.
#52194 by GJOoma
Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:12 am
Thanks for responding. Okay, answers below:

I have DSL - 5 meg (good speed, no problems when tested or during normal use)
I have the Ooma Telo Handset and Panasonic cordless 5.8Ghz
No integrated land line - Ooma number only
Have not wired the system to get dial tone all over the house.

It is the same clicking noise on both Panasonic and Telo handset. Apart from that the call quality is good.

Thanks again
#52197 by southsound
Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:20 am
GJOoma wrote:Thanks for responding. Okay, answers below:

I have DSL - 5 meg (good speed, no problems when tested or during normal use)
I have the Ooma Telo Handset and Panasonic cordless 5.8Ghz
No integrated land line - Ooma number only
Have not wired the system to get dial tone all over the house.

It is the same clicking noise on both Panasonic and Telo handset. Apart from that the call quality is good.

Thanks again

This may be a stretch, but it is all I can think of for now. Your Panasonic 5.8ghz cordless may be polling the base station periodically and if you have a modem that has built-in wireless, the 2.4ghz signal channel from the Panny may be causing the problem. You wouldn't think that a 5.8ghz phone would use 2.4ghz but many do use that band to send control information between the handset and the base. Simple way to verify if this is the problem - unplug the Panasonic base and take the handset out of range from your modem. Then check to see if you still hear the click. If not, then you found your problem. If the click is still heard, then maybe someone else can chime in with some thoughts.
#52837 by bmhupp
Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:21 pm
I am a new customer and having the same/similar issue. Good clarity but a clicking noise about every 5-10 seconds or so although the timing isn't consistent.

Here is my config:
    DSL
    Cordless phone - DECT 6.0
    No integrated landline, I'm using a new ooma number
    Have not wired system throughout house
I tested my line at whichvoip.com and got the following results:
    Jitter - 1.2 ms
    Packet loss - 0%
    MOS - 4.1
    Download - 2.46 Mbs down
    Upload - 421 kpbs up
    QOS - 99%
Here is a sound recording of the clicking noise:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4356328/Ooma%20line%20recording%2020100412%201230.mp3

Any help would be appreciated.
#52858 by Bobby B
Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:48 pm
Do you have a wired phone that you can try placing a call with? It'd be a good data point to know if the click sound is present on the wired phone.
#52861 by bmhupp
Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:44 pm
Bobby B wrote:Do you have a wired phone that you can try placing a call with? It'd be a good data point to know if the click sound is present on the wired phone.

Good question. I plugged in a wired phone and still heard the clicking noise. On a related note, I did have one call today that I did not experience the clicking sound on (which was on the wireless handset).

Thanks for your help.
#52878 by charliec
Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:09 pm
Hello
I have been having the same issues with my Telo, really annoying clicking noise every 10 seconds or so. Seems to be a little random so it does not seem to be some device polling on a fixed interval.

I also have a set of panasonic cordless phones connected to the telo, and also the telo handset. I get clicking on both phones. I just logged in to the setup.ooma.com page for the device and setup the QOS setting to match the speedready.net readings. I wondered if this had anything to do with this clicking issue or not.
#52908 by lbmofo
Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:37 am
This is interesting. I am wondering whether it has to do with dirty power line? Could plugging the Telo into an UPS make a difference? Or getting a three prong power adapter with same voltage/amp rating help?
#53640 by bmhupp
Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:59 pm
I don't have a UPS to try that with. Not sure what you mean by a power adapter.

I have most of the components (router, DSL modem, ooma, etc.) plug into a surge protector. I also had the phone line prior to the modem, running through the surge protector as well. I disconnected the phone cord and now run it directly to my modem with no improvement.

Any other suggestions? I can't deal with the clicking and will probably return the ooma unless I can get this resolved.

Thanks for your help!