This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#51667 by ct236
Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:16 am
I experienced the echo on my Telo handset the other day, and found that it actually helps me with my conversation (because I can hear exactly when my voice is being heard by the person on the other end, and can wait the correct amount of time for a response if necessary; it enables me not to talk over myself or the person I'm talking to). I'd like to be able to have the echo on ALL my calls, both incoming and outgoing. Anyone know how to implement this valuable feature?
#51751 by Leeway
Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:02 pm
ct236 wrote:I experienced the echo on my Telo handset the other day, and found that it actually helps me with my conversation (because I can hear exactly when my voice is being heard by the person on the other end, and can wait the correct amount of time for a response if necessary; it enables me not to talk over myself or the person I'm talking to). I'd like to be able to have the echo on ALL my calls, both incoming and outgoing. Anyone know how to implement this valuable feature?

SHHHHHH !! Please, I hate the echo. <g>
#51788 by DTMF
Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:44 am
Whether there is echo is most likely a function of parameters on Ooma's network that the device can't control, like which termination partner delivers the call to/from the other end.
#51841 by Davesworld
Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:35 pm
ct236 wrote:I experienced the echo on my Telo handset the other day, and found that it actually helps me with my conversation (because I can hear exactly when my voice is being heard by the person on the other end, and can wait the correct amount of time for a response if necessary; it enables me not to talk over myself or the person I'm talking to). I'd like to be able to have the echo on ALL my calls, both incoming and outgoing. Anyone know how to implement this valuable feature?

I suspect this is tongue and cheek but ok, I'll take the bait. The echo you may have heard may be closer to the other end of the path and by the time you hear yourself, it's likely twice the time factor of the actual lag in one direction.
#51847 by southsound
Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:59 pm
This might be an option...

Without it, your conversation might sound like one from one of my favorite 80's movies...

Roger Murdock: Flight 2-0-9'er, you are cleared for take-off.
Captain Oveur: Roger!
Roger Murdock: Huh?
Tower voice: L.A. departure frequency, 123 point 9'er.
Captain Oveur: Roger!
Victor Basta: Request vector, over.
Captain Oveur: What?
Tower voice: Flight 2-0-9'er cleared for vector 324.
Roger Murdock: We have clearance, Clarence.
Captain Oveur: Roger, Roger. What's our vector, Victor?
Tower voice: Tower's radio clearance, over!
Captain Oveur: That's Clarence Oveur. Over.
Tower voice: Over.
Captain Oveur: Roger.
Tower voice: Roger, over!
Roger Murdock: What?
Captain Oveur: Huh?
Victor Basta: Who?
:P
#52752 by ct236
Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:47 am
It as not "tongue in cheek," believe it or not. I really did find it helpful in gauging how long to wait for a response. Sigh. I guess it's not possible to turn it on. Far as I'm concerned, that's a feature, not a bug. (Really.)
#62664 by Nat Ray
Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:57 pm
ct236 wrote:It as not "tongue in cheek," believe it or not. I really did find it helpful in gauging how long to wait for a response. Sigh. I guess it's not possible to turn it on. Far as I'm concerned, that's a feature, not a bug. (Really.)

LMAO . . .
How can I get the echo to turn OFF :?:

Best regards,
Nat Ray
#62666 by southsound
Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:11 pm
In the famous words of HAL, "I'm sorry, Dave. I can't do that."

Actually if you keep logs of the calls with bothersome echo and then escalate it to customer support's higher levels they can check into what is causing it. In my case, it was a routing issue and has been successfully corrected. The more information you can give them, the better.
#62667 by Nat Ray
Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:14 pm
southsound wrote:In the famous words of HAL, "I'm sorry, Dave. I can't do that."

Actually if you keep logs of the calls with bothersome echo and then escalate it to customer support's higher levels they can check into what is causing it. In my case, it was a routing issue and has been successfully corrected. The more information you can give them, the better.

Thanks SouthSound . . .

I have submitted an email requesting the assistance of Tier 3 support, with as much information as I can muster: :cool:

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 1.6 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 5.9 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 6274696 bps