This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#51488 by shoreside2
Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:53 pm
Just received OOMA telo and installed. my voice quality jitters to the recipient, and my receiving quality is excellent. My download speed 30Mbps and upload is 1.80 Mbps = plenty of speed. I have a packet 8 voip phone connected on the same router and its quality to the recipient is flawless. My guess as to jiterry voice is with the OOMA modem or software. I am very disappointed with the OOMA telo quality. I tested both voip phones on a landline and the packet 8 phone didn't have a hiccup
but the OOMA phone the most broken up dialog iv'e ever heard,could not understand a complete sentence. Everything is connected properly as per OOMA. The connection download and upload is more than sufficient. Conclusion the OOMA hardware and software is not ready for voip usage. They should not put out a product and beta test on customers. If packet 8 can do it and thats 5 years old then OOMA better fix their jitter problems or word will spread very quickly on the web and there will be no OOMA.
Pure Voice? Is that supposed to solve the problem? If so when does the upgrade come out?

I was going to replace my Packet 8 voip phone with OOMA but I can't since OOMA only work on oneway conversation, guess I'll
have to return OOMA and try them at a later date when you can use the phone for a conversation.
By the way the quality of the recipient to me is excellent, better than Packet 8. 3/27/10
#51501 by DTMF
Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:23 pm
shoreside2 wrote:My guess as to jiterry voice is with the OOMA modem or software.

Your guess is likely wrong. The most likely cause is the connection provided by your ISP. Run the test at http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html and get an expert opinion, independent of Ooma, on the suitability of your connection for VoIP.
#51505 by shoreside2
Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:12 pm
? If it's my isp and i wish it was. Then why does my packet 8 voip work perfectly. I don't think my isp dicriminates between voip providers. Again I wish it was my isp, both voip phones are running side by side on the same network and i have tested the isp.
#51508 by Davesworld
Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:14 pm
shoreside2 wrote:? If it's my isp and i wish it was. Then why does my packet 8 voip work perfectly. I don't think my isp dicriminates between voip providers. Again I wish it was my isp, both voip phones are running side by side on the same network and i have tested the isp.

It could be both but obviously whatever might be wrong with your isp, P8 has their device set to be more tolerant but we need stats other than bandwidth to really know. Ooma is reportedly less tolerant of jitter than some others but my line is clean so I can't tell. For all we know Packet 8 could have a 10ms jitter buffer set in their ATA but Ooma who knows? Since none of us has a carrier grade internet connection, consumer oriented voip has to have a bit of tolerance to such imperfect conditions to be considered viable.

As far as discrimination by your isp for your own choice of voip, Packet 8 uses the standard port 5060 for sip signaling and Ooma uses a VPN port, both carry RTP traffic over the range between port 10000 and 20000 and RTP is where the voice is REALLY carried, as long as your sip signaling port isn't blocked by your isp it should not matter. I doubt anyone would block a range of 10000 ports.
#51735 by shoreside2
Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:24 pm
thanks to you davesworld for giving me the incentive to at least attempt to solve the voice quality issue. My OOma is up and running at least acceptably. I went into quality of service and changed the settings. All my voip speedtest data is terrific except for my Qos, my upload Qos is 99%, my download Qos ios anywhere between 50% to 70%. My altering of Qos in the OOMA box has made my Qos to be acceptable. Even though changing the Qos settings helped correct the voice quality, it didn't change the voip speed test data it's still about 50% to 70% Qos on the download side. So I would tell you exactly what I changed on the upstream side except the voip test doesn't show any change at all, yet my Qos has improved. I'm afraid I will lead others astray if they do what I did. Again thanks.