This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#53574 by stubeeef
Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:04 am
We seem to have a similar problem but only when initially answering the phone, only when we grab the Telo Handset, and only when it is answered from the charging cradle. We don't have the issue with other phones that are plugged in, or if we answer using the Telo Handset when it is not in the cradle.
I have the newest firmware 36111. We had the issue before the update and still do.
#53583 by Groundhound
Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:26 am
stubeeef wrote:We seem to have a similar problem but only when initially answering the phone, only when we grab the Telo Handset, and only when it is answered from the charging cradle. We don't have the issue with other phones that are plugged in, or if we answer using the Telo Handset when it is not in the cradle.
I have the newest firmware 36111. We had the issue before the update and still do.

Under the handset's Menu>Phone Settings, is Auto Answer on? If so turn it off so when you pick up the ringing phone from the charger you must press the green answer/call button to answer the call.
#53883 by sniffbert
Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:42 pm
lbmofo, your suggestion for checking network performance, and potentially replacing my cable modem, was right on. In my case, replacing the cable modem made a huge difference. All performance stats currently look great. Had a few lengthy phone calls, and they all continued without any [30 second] interruptions. I'll report back in a few days, telling you all if I have any more problems.

In the meantime, I'm still curious about the various speed and performance test web sites. I understand getting different values at different times of day, but getting different values from different sites causes some confusion. Also, different sites gather stats by testing to/from different remote destinations. In my case, I can now get speakeasy to show 18MB to Chicago, but this same site shows 4MB going to LA. Using whichvoip shows about 4MB, but I don't where it actually goes.

Since ooma suggests we tune our QOS based on speed tests, and since we can get drastically different results based on which speed test we run, it seems we should have some better instruction. For example, should we do a speed test, pointing at a site which is near the ooma server? If so, where is the server? And which speed test site should we use?

Too many words; happy right now; bye.
#53893 by lbmofo
Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:12 pm
Good to hear. Cool.

As for QoS, I'd only set the upstream properties. I think upstream speeds don't vary much no matter what site you use but I'd use speedtest.net's default server that it finds for you.

1 ooma page says to set the QoS at upstream speed measured, the other says to set upstream parameter to 15-20% less than measured upstream speed. I listened to the latter.

https://www.ooma.com/support/knowledgeba ... ty-service

https://www.ooma.com/support/knowledgeba ... ervice-qos