This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#50542 by Zindar
Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:26 pm
Hello, I purchased the ooma hub (not telo) last fall, and to be honest, I hardly ever use the phone; my wife is the main phone user of the family. She's been complaining ever since then that it takes a long time before the other phone (the one she's calling) starts to ring after she places an outgoing local call (7 digits).

I finally got around to testing her claim, and she's right. I still have a limited landline, so I'm able to do a parallel test. When I call using my landline, in about 1-2 seconds, I hear the other phone ring. With ooma, I typically wait 10-12 seconds, sometimes even 30 seconds. If it takes a long time, my wife typically hangs up and redials.

Is this normal, and something I'm supposed to live with, or is this a malfunction that can be fixed, so we don't have to wait so long for the calls to connect? 99% of our calls are local.
#50545 by southsound
Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:32 pm
You probably have 10-digit dialing enabled on my.ooma.com (Preferences/System). If you would like a 7-digit call to go through quickly, just press the # key after the number. That tells the ooma not to wait for the additional three digits. :cool:

Of course, the other option (which we use) is to turn off the 10-digit dialing. Then you will need to dial the 1 preceding long distance, but most of our calls are local as well so it never is a problem for us.
#50546 by Zindar
Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:39 pm
southsound wrote:You probably have 10-digit dialing enabled on my.ooma.com (Preferences/System). If you would like a 7-digit call to go through quickly, just press the # key after the number. That tells the ooma not to wait for the additional three digits. :cool:

Of course, the other option (which we use) is to turn off the 10-digit dialing. Then you will need to dial the 1 preceding long distance, but most of our calls are local as well so it never is a problem for us.

Thanks for this information. You're saying that if 10-digit dialing is enabled, long distance number should be dialed as area code + number with no 1 in front of it? I bet my wife doesn't know this, and I bet she's been putting a 1, though it's rare she makes long distance calls, but I'd think she's made at least one of them in the last few months.

Anyway, if I understand you correctly, disabling 10 digits will speed us up, and long distance will need to the way I always thought it should be: 1 + area code + 7 digit number. That would be fine by me.
#50547 by southsound
Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:42 pm
Correct. Give it a try. Some changes on my.ooma.com can take up to 10 minutes to complete and some even require you to remove power for a minute and then plug it in again. Small price to pay to keep the better half happy!
#50548 by Zindar
Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:44 pm
I just tried it, but I still get a 11-23 second delay (I did 3 trials). But I only waited a few seconds, not a few minutes, like you said. I'll wait awhile, and try again, and see if your trick works. If it does, that's a wonderful solution.
#50552 by Zindar
Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:08 pm
Okay, it's now just a 4-8 second delay. Slower than the landline, but it's a vast improvement, so I definitely thank you for this newfound relief. Perhaps this relatively short delay is as designed since it's going through internet, but if that's so it's a small price to pay in my mind for having no monthly phone bill.