This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#50496 by Dayvidpriddy
Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:30 am
What is the best way to figure out what your "QOS" number should be in the Ooma setup?

I've been running speed tests from speedtest.com or is it .net?...and I run them 5 times in a row every 6 hours or so. I take the lowest number in each set of 5 and set that number aside. After 24 hours or so I figured to take the lowest number out of the 5 that I set aside and use that as my upstream number?

Would this be the correct way to do it? Tech support seems to be useless...another company in India? God help us!
#50507 by southsound
Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:44 pm
Dayvidpriddy wrote:What is the best way to figure out what your "QOS" number should be in the Ooma setup?

I've been running speed tests from speedtest.com or is it .net?...and I run them 5 times in a row every 6 hours or so. I take the lowest number in each set of 5 and set that number aside. After 24 hours or so I figured to take the lowest number out of the 5 that I set aside and use that as my upstream number?

Would this be the correct way to do it? Tech support seems to be useless...another company in India? God help us!

Actually not India but Manilla in the Phillipines. Sometimes you will find them to be the only way to get things done because some issues are beyond user capabilities (like tracing call routing, getting a new local number, etc.) but for everything else, the forum is great.

Many of us set our QOS on the hub or Telo at about 80% of our actual numbers - but if your numbers vary greatly (as with cable), I might go a little lower. After a lot of testing, I found that setting the QOS on my hub to 50% of my actual rates worked well.