This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#50493 by Dayvidpriddy
Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:08 am
Hi,

I'm using Panasonic DECT phones (I'm a new Ooma customer by the way) and I noticed today on my phones LCD screen I sometimes see the word "BOOST" flashing on my LCD screen. I'm a former Vonage customer and do not remember seeing that before. Is this a Ooma feature and if so, what exactly does it mean when it flashes "BOOST?"

Thanks.
#50494 by Tiger5353
Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:19 am
I did a simple google search and what i found is that the handset has a boost feature. When signal strength to the base station gets weak the handset increases its signal strength to correct it.
#50495 by Dayvidpriddy
Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:28 am
Tiger5353 wrote:I did a simple google search and what i found is that the handset has a boost feature. When signal strength to the base station gets weak the handset increases its signal strength to correct it.

Ah so it has nothing to do with Ooma at all? It's a Pansonic feature? I never noticed that before lol. But that is strange, I was only 25-30' away from the base...how far can you usually go with these things I kinda forgot?

Thanks!
#50760 by Tiger5353
Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:04 pm
That depends on several factors. Number of walls (if any) your signal has to pass through, signal strength of base and handset, interference (RF signals) that can cause problems with base and handset even a short distance away (things like wireless router, microwaves, cell phones, just to name a few). Most cordless phone manufactures won't give you range values because of this.

Dayvidpriddy wrote:Ah so it has nothing to do with Ooma at all? It's a Pansonic feature? I never noticed that before lol. But that is strange, I was only 25-30' away from the base...how far can you usually go with these things I kinda forgot?

Thanks!
#50764 by Tiger5353
Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:21 pm
The sound quality between base and handset is MUCH clearer on DECT phones then on a older analogy cordless true but the signal between the base and handset can still be interfered with. The data if corrupted is simply re-transmitted which makes for very clear listening but does nothing for signal strengh and re-transmittance of data when it is interfered with.
#50788 by southsound
Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:16 pm
Tiger5353 wrote: The sound quality between base and handset is MUCH clearer on DECT phones then on a older analogy cordless true but the signal between the base and handset can still be interfered with.

Ahhh, seems like forever since I've used an analogy cordless. Analogy: From the Greek "proportion"
An analogy is "reasoning or explaining from parallel cases." Put another way, an analogy is a comparison between two different things in order to highlight some point of similarity. As Freud suggested, an analogy won't settle an argument, but a good one may help to clarify the issues.

"Writing a book of poetry is like dropping a rose petal down the Grand Canyon and waiting for the echo."
(Don Marquis)

"One good analogy is worth three hours discussion."
(Dudley Field Malone)

"Memory is to love what the saucer is to the cup."
(Elizabeth Bowen, The House in Paris, 1949)

But then again, what do raccoons know about analogies? It would be like asking a fish about mountain climbing.

<<I'm in a rather playful mood - I hope that no offense is taken - none was meant.>>
#50882 by JTalbert
Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:18 am
I have a panasonic phone as well, and have the same issue. The base station is in the kitchen and even when talking on the phone, standing in the kitchen, next to the base station, I get that boost message. I have a feeling it has to do with the power level that Ooma has the ooma sending out the single to the home wiring. Now that someone else is having the same problem, I would bet this is the case.

Last night we had an issue where we were in the bedroom talking on the Panasonic phone and twice in the middle of the call we got a computer generated voice saying please enter the telephone number and area code you wish to dial.

Since we had the boost problem in the kitchen, I do not think the issue was a distance since I had the boost issue next to the base, but dont know.

I plan on moving the base to be next to the telo and plugged directly into the Telo and see if that helps.

The only other thought is, did you disconnect your home wiring from the phone company box? I know that is something your suppose to do. We have, I think. We had cox phone for a while and I think they disconnected the wire, I am pretty sure they did, I will check that. The only other thing, is when I disconnected their wiring from my home wiring I dont know if a wire became loose. But I am betting its an issue with the power level that Ooma sends out to the home wiring. I wonder if they could adjust the SW on the Telo to increase the signal level output even slightly.

Have you ever had your calls drop and hear the please enter a phone number and area code?
#50899 by wildbill
Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:19 am
panasonic has never got it right with their cordless phones since day one. Even before Dect 6 was out.. I gave up on panasonic phones a long time ago.

Try using a Uniden.