This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#50307 by misterpeepers
Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:01 pm
Hello all,

I hope you can help. I have had Ooma for about 10 months with few problems. I got one for my mother about 2 months ago. For the 1st month, no problems. In the past 2 weeks, whenever I call her on her Ooma, I can hear her for about 10 seconds, then silence. She can still hear me fine. This happens EVERY time I call her. If she calls me back, the connection is OK, choppy at 1st, but seems to settle in. She has no problems with any other calls, and neither do I. Any ideas? I am running Comcast, with upload speeds consistently over 2 mbps. My setup is modem>ooma>router. Help!!!
#50315 by dsinternet
Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:36 am
Wow this is a weird one. When things don't seem right on my computer I try a reboot. Have you tried rebooting (unplug it then plug it back in)? Otherwise I am at a loss. Having it be ok for 10seconds is what I don't understand.
#50338 by DTMF
Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:44 am
Technically, your issue is not with one specific number, it's calling Ooma to Ooma. The difference between that type of call and calling another landline is that the call never goes out over the Public Switched Telephone Network, it gets connected directly over Ooma's network.

I don't know the details of how Ooma does that (P2P SIP? separate SIP connections thru the Ooma network?), but it's an important distinction to make and my posting that distinction may spark some ideas in those who are more familiar with the details. :cool:
Last edited by DTMF on Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
#50341 by dsinternet
Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:58 am
Good call, DTMF.
Misterpeepers do you know anyone else with an ooma phone that you could try this with. To prove it is ooma to omma calling that causes the problem. If you would like you can send me a personal message and then I can give you my phone number to try.
#50342 by southsound
Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:00 pm
I use my hub to call my Telo all the time for testing. There should be no issue calling ooma to ooma, but it is good to recognize that this may be a source of the problem. I think this is where you make a call to ooma at 888 711-6662 and explain the situation and have them open a ticket. They may try to have you do some troubleshooting - remind them that the system is working well with all other numbers and you want them to open a ticket for this one situation - an ooma to ooma call. It would be helpful to give them some of the call information - date, time, number, etc. But this must be solved by a higher level tech than you will get on the phone when you call so insist on them opening a ticket.
#50387 by dsinternet
Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:03 am
Well we did the test and his Hub to my Telo worked fine. So he is having a problem with his Hub to is mothers Hub. But he reports that her Hub to his Hub works fine. So the problem is only with one phone number and is only one diection. It's a mystery to me.