This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#50222 by matt331
Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:56 pm
I've had my Telo for almost three months and the entire time I've had inconsistent call quality. About 75% of the time it works fine, but the other 25% is horrible - some calls don't go through, some fail in the middle, and some are so broken that I just hang up. Each time this happens, I run a VoIP test if I have the time and the stats always come back fine. I've made 3-4 calls to tech support and sent one email, but have had no luck. They've tried changing my QoS settings and the wiring setup, but nothing is working. Right now I have an integrated router/modem (FiOS) directly connected to the Telo, then a netgear wireless N router behind the Telo. The only thing connected to the FiOS modem/router is the Telo; everything else is connected to the netgear. FiOS package is 25down/15 up. I just ran a test and the stats are below. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 2.5 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 2.9 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 1.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 21584328 bps
Upload speed: 21817528 bps
Quality of service: 86 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum download pause: 96 ms
Average download pause: 2 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 12 ms
Average round trip time to server: 16 ms
#50229 by matt331
Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:34 pm
VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 1.8 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.1 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 8471560 bps
Upload speed: 7110040 bps
Download quality of service: 94 %
Upload quality of service: 78 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 104 ms
Average download pause: 8 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 84 ms
Average round trip time to server: 111 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 72800000bps
Route concurrency: 8.593458
Download TCP forced idle: 93 %
Maximum route speed: --
#50231 by murphy
Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:48 pm
Those numbers look good.
There has been a recent report that something is wrong with the QOS in the Telo.
Try setting both the download and upload QOS numbers in the Telo to 0 (disabled) and see if that helps.
#50261 by Tomforde
Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:05 am
I believe I may have a similar problem and am following your conversation with interest. Please tell me how to set the download and upload QOS numbers in the Telo to 0. I've been experiencing a pronounced echo - especially on local calls - and am willing to try anything to fix it because it makes conversations intolerable. I tried switching to a corded phone and also moving my base away from electromagnetic interference but to no avail. I also ran the VoIP test and everything came up very good. Any more suggestions to resolve this very annoying problem would be greatly appreciated.
#50273 by southsound
Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:26 pm
Tomforde wrote:I believe I may have a similar problem and am following your conversation with interest. Please tell me how to set the download and upload QOS numbers in the Telo to 0. I've been experiencing a pronounced echo - especially on local calls - and am willing to try anything to fix it because it makes conversations intolerable. I tried switching to a corded phone and also moving my base away from electromagnetic interference but to no avail. I also ran the VoIP test and everything came up very good. Any more suggestions to resolve this very annoying problem would be greatly appreciated.

You can change the QOS numbers from setup.ooma.com on the Advanced tab. Don't forget to save the changes after you adjust the values. But that may not take care of your echo since it is more noticable on local calls. Echo usually comes from one of two sources - either (1.) acoustic coupling or (2.) a problem with one of ooma's partners and routing.

1. Acoustic coupling is caused when you have the earpiece volume up so loud that the handset's microphone picks up the conversation from the earpiece. Modern cordless and even some corded phones have a much louder normal volume than the older style phones - try turning the volume down and see if this helps.

2. ooma uses partners to connect the POTS world with their VOIP world. These partners rely on echo cancellation algorithms and hardware as well as ooma's routing information. A great deal of this information is saved on ooma's servers - but you can imagine how impossible it would be to go through all of that data unless they knew what calls were successful and which ones were not.

I had a similar problem with my main number when I first came to ooma. We tried different numbers, different phones, and only after I was able to provide my personal call logs could they address things. By call logs, I'm speaking of a detailed record of calls over several days. The log should include times, dates, numbers, incoming or outgoing, call quality, etc. Rather than go over all the details of my journey in this post, you can read about it here. http://forums.ooma.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=784

Since ooma and the partner did some adjustments and routing changes, call quality has been stellar. It is worth the effort to keep the logs and of course, when calling support, don't be happy unless they are willing to escalate the problem to a higher level here in the states. I don't think the people who normally answer the support calls have the ability to check your device logs, etc. from their off-shore location.

I can tell you from experience that they can and will fix your problem if they have the proper information. My service has been stellar for nearly a year now. A simple call or two to customer support to open a ticket is usually not sufficient interaction to get the job done.
#50941 by matt331
Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:36 am
Well, several calls to Ooma support and my situation hasn't changed. I'm trading emails with a tech right now, but beyond putting the telo in the DMZ, most of what we've tried are tweeks I've tried before (e.g. setting QoS to zero). As recommended elsewhere in the forums, I've been keeping detailed call logs so I can point the techs to specific calls that have been bad. I'm hopeful that will help us get the quality issue resolved this week.
#50952 by JTalbert
Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:40 am
Try setting your QoS to 0, I had a not of problems and doing that fixed a lot of my problems. Dont know if it will fix the echo, but its worth a try.