This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#49934 by billlawton
Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:21 pm
Recently dialed to conference call based in China. While the initial greeting was fine, the passcode was usually rejected (3 out of 4 tries). Once I finally connected, the quality of the conference call was intolerable.

Not sure if anything can be done on my side. I don't typically have problems for domestic calls (local or long distance) so I was surprised to have such poor connection. My configuration puts Telo between my cable modem and router (DIR-655) and I typically measure 8 Mbps down and 4 Mbps up.
#50413 by Shawn
Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:06 am
Was the international part of the call also through Ooma or some other provider like a phone card?
Have you made subsequent calls to other numbers in China besides the conference center, with the same bad sound quality?
#50427 by billlawton
Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:05 pm
This was my first international call attempt (to China or otherwise). I used Ooma directly (via International bundle) in the first attempt.

Since this initial failed attempt, I did access the same China conf call number, but through a Verizon international phone card. While using the phone card, the call quality was fine through a 2 hour call.

I believe the option of using the phone card results in a VoIP to POTS exchange in US versus China without the card. I really would like to not have to use the calling card. Cost isn't the issue, just the convenience. I haven't tried any other international calls (excluding Canada).
#50441 by Shawn
Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:30 pm
I think you should try to use the direct Ooma international service to China again. It could be just a bad day when you had the bad experience.
Last edited by Shawn on Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
#50991 by billlawton
Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:24 pm
I may, but I haven't yet.

When I try pingtest.net to a server in China, I get about 500 msec latency and about 200 msec jitter (not sure if this is representative servers Ooma has for China). These don't appear favorable for VoIP. Does anyone else have experience with VoIP QoS with this type of server response?
#51007 by Shawn
Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:40 am
This may not be a good indicator. I assume when you make a Ooma call to China, you go through the network Ooma uses. So your ping and jitter values on your own to the Chinese server may not mean much.
#51621 by billlawton
Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:49 pm
Tried again tonight, but still no luck (now updated to ver. 1.35452).

Didn't make it into the conference call - DTMF passcode for call rejected twice. Used same fallback (Verizon International calling card) and it worked fine including many more DTMF digits.

Perhaps it will work when all servers (state-side and international) are updated for Pure Voice. Anyone know of how to check when and where ooma server upgrades are complete?
#52277 by Ein
Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:21 pm
I got the Ooma for my parents few days ago. I was worried about the VQ of international calls.

I don't what part of China you are calling to? My Mom made a 50+ minutes call to Guangzhou with no problem. But, it's only one call so far. She will try HK in a few days and see how that works.

The international calling rate is a bit higher than the advertised price.

Canada is 0.016 instead of 0.014 and China is 0.029 instead of 0.025
#52283 by murphy
Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:07 am
The advertised rates do not include the fixed call set up charge or the FCC mandated tax currently at 14.1%.
#52337 by billlawton
Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:34 pm
Unfortunately I can't tell exactly where I'm calling since it's a conference call number. The company I'm contacting through the conference system is in Beijing so it may be somewhere nearby.

Would be nice if there was some method to test the reliability of the connection of the Ooma servers remotely and quantitatively.