This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#49861 by swynn97
Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:51 am
Red flashing lights, then blue again, then calls drop, then all I get is static. Robots answering support calls.

Seriously, you guys should be doing better. VoIP companies are a dime a dozen (those who are left) - you are going to fail if you don't focus on customer satisfaction.

Simon
Last edited by swynn97 on Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
#49868 by Mike-o-Matic
Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:13 am
What's the point of your post? You have a technical difficulty, so it's automatically ooma's fault? And you seem to want them to go belly-up??!?

There's lots of good people around here, why not give them a chance to help you instead of wishing for chapter 7? Should ooma fail, those of us that DO get great service from ooma would be hosed, too.

And guess what, we wish better for you. So how about returning the favor?
#49871 by dknyinva
Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:36 am
bottom line it's an ID 10 T error. Instead of posting here with problem, so people could help. The op just bashing ooma and ranting non-sense.
#49874 by swynn97
Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:41 am
I have a very fast network with QOS priority given to OOMA. The issues I'm seeing are the box not registering, and also call termination issues for example blue lights but all calls go to voice mail etc. calls not going to mobile networks, but landlines OK etc. I'd asked OOMA support to trace the call since they had asked for phone numbers and times so they could do this. They basically stop responding and told me to ask Comcast to reduce the jitter - not that I have a jitter problem.

I understand the issues they are having - I run a consumer software company myself. They just need to try harder otherwise they will fail, and yes, we will all be out of luck.

The times OOMA works it's great - it's just the block of outages are a problem. In reality I'm using OOMA to park my POTS number - cell is my primary carrier.

Sorry dknyinva - what does your post mean?

Simon
#49877 by Mike-o-Matic
Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:58 am
Swynn97, can you run the voip test at the following URL and post your results? Please indicate whether this was at a time when your ooma service was good or bad.

URL for VOIP tests... http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html

Edit: Also, please state whether you have an integrated landline, and show us how your ooma is set up, for example:
DSL/cable modem-->ooma-->--Router-->LAN ... or whatever reflects your actual network topology.
#49879 by swynn97
Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:03 am
Yes I will - btw edited my head message since it pissed a bunch of people off - sorry about that.

I understand that Jitter etc. will affect RTP streams, however I don't understand how it can affect SIP registration etc. Seems that the SIP server just goes down periodically, or there is a last mile issue at their end.

Simon
#49882 by Mike-o-Matic
Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:22 am
I hear ya. And I understand your frustration.

I'm by no means a VOIP expert (client-server, DB, and web developer, and long-ago I was something of a networking guru) but at least your test results would serve as a starting point. Plus, after seeing them, the ooma/VOIP wizzes around here might get ideas that would help you.
#49956 by swynn97
Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:46 am
VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 2.8 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 1.0 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 20916736 bps
Upload speed: 3468864 bps
Download quality of service: 99 %
Upload quality of service: 96 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 19 ms
Average download pause: 1 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 28 ms
Average round trip time to server: 30 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 20916736bps
Route concurrency: 1.0
Download TCP forced idle: 0 %
Maximum route speed: --

The OOMA is behind my router. My network is Gigabit Ethernet running DotQ tagging with priority for the OOMA. My Router is a Cisco 1841 ISR running CBAC and IDS. My switch is an integrated catalyst layer 3 switch module.

Simon
#49982 by Mike-o-Matic
Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:37 pm
Hm, those numbers look superior in every way to my own, yet I have great call quality all the time. I have a Hub, for what it's worth, not a Telo.

Ever tried placing your Telo in front of the router, instead of behind it? At least temporarily?
#50007 by sgrunspan
Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:43 pm
Does the teleo or hub support tagging? I haven't seen any mention of that in the non-existen manuals. Depending on how you have your bandwidth management setup............nah that's probably not it.
Since your issues are intermittent a single test might not reveal anything. I would follow the other poster's suggestion, start with the simplest setup and build from there. Eliminate the firewall/router as an issue. I don't know how complex your network is but I have seen random things like a forgotten server in a closet periodically flooding the network with ARP and other traffic causing other things to time out.

If you have additional static IPs do that. If not configure a DMZ for the ooma.