This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#54102 by JTalbert
Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:23 am
Davesworld wrote:
Soundjudgment wrote:"" my wife is begininng to complain. Can anyone offer some advice on how to get rid of this issue? ""

Call a Divorce Attorney.

We all know you meant the lag issue but the sentence makes it look as if your wife's complaining is THE issue.

Maybe you can call the Dr Phil show and see if you can get on that, That will be a good thing before the lag gets really ugly, dont want to see it get so bad it turns into a Jerry Springer call.

In all seriousness...

Go to setup.ooma.com and click on the status to the left and see what REV of the firmware you are running, make sure you have the latest firmware, which is 36111.

What download/upload speed do you subscribe to with your DSL? Do you have anything that connects to your network constant, a P2P program, or online backup? Online backups can cause problems. If you have an online backup,change it to low priority mode.

Other than that, you have 2% packet loss, I would wonder why your losing packets. Try a new phone cord, a shorter one if you can. I know with me, I had a lot of problems at first, and I have a cable modem, and my cables were a little loose and that was causing problems. How long have you had DSL? And the modem? If its been a few years, maybe try switching out your modem with your provider if you can.
#54203 by Davesworld
Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:42 pm
Dropped packets will certainly cause more delay. In the USA we're not supposed to have any packet loss these days.

Bottom line is that without a good clean internet connection with no packet loss, you're going to have issues with delay. The iLBC codec at least allows you to carry on with loss but there will be more delay. The g.711 codec "fax mode" is even less tolerant to loss.
#54381 by dmclone
Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:35 pm
I'm also having a serious lag.

QOS 96%
Upload QOS 98%
RT time 64ms
Max delay 44ms
Jitter .5ms
Packet loss 0

Ooma Settings-Before the router
Upstream Internet Speed (kbps) 768
Downstream Internet Speed (kbps): 80000 (I've also tried zero)

I really don't know how I could get better numbers than this. Why the delay? Is this just normal?

I can have 2 cell phones in my and they are instant. When I do the same test using Ooma and a cell phone there is like a 1-2 second delay.

Why the delay.
#54383 by dmclone
Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Another test a few minutes later

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.6 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 0.4 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.2

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 4280672 bps
Upload speed: 955920 bps
Download quality of service: 63 %
Upload quality of service: 51 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 52 ms
Average download pause: 2 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 64 ms
Average round trip time to server: 64 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 11200000bps
Route concurrency: 2.6164117
Download TCP forced idle: 28 %
Maximum route speed: 8191872bps
#54435 by Soundjudgment
Sat May 01, 2010 5:12 am
Download quality of service: 63 %
Upload quality of service: 51 %

Find out why it is reporting these two marginal results and you will nail it.
#54440 by Groundhound
Sat May 01, 2010 5:48 am
dmclone wrote:I can have 2 cell phones in my and they are instant. When I do the same test using Ooma and a cell phone there is like a 1-2 second delay.

A delay of 1-2 seconds is a really long delay, quite a few words difference. If testing between a cell phone in your home and Ooma, you will normally hear a describable delay (small fraction of a second) but it should not be enough to be an issue when making a real-world call where you can't hear the spoken voice both through the air and over the phone. If the delay really is a full second or more then you very likely have some Internet connection issues.
#54442 by dmclone
Sat May 01, 2010 6:46 am
I just got off the phone and there is defenitly a delay. It was painful to even talk to the person. The call quality seemed fine but the lag was terrible.

Device Status - Rev: 1.36111

Ooma Tunnel: Connected
Services
Telephony: 526 - Running
DNS: 563 - Running
Web Server: 520 - Running
VPN: 745 - Running
Free: 196740

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.9 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.6 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 6346488 bps
Upload speed: 953160 bps
Download quality of service: 92 %
Upload quality of service: 96 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 41 ms
Average download pause: 1 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 63 ms
Average round trip time to server: 64 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 11200000bps
Route concurrency: 1.7647556
Download TCP forced idle: 28 %
Maximum route speed: 8321904bps
#54463 by Soundjudgment
Sat May 01, 2010 12:06 pm
Your Speed and Voip test results are excellent. I would look for another possibility.