This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#49847 by shann039
Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:03 am
I just set up an Ooma Hub last weekend. I'm using Qwest DSL and my setup is modem-->hub-->router. I had some initial issues with voice breakup, but turning off the modem firewall seems to have solved that. People I'm calling still report a little voice distortion, particularly at loud volumes. I'm a little more bugged by the voice lag (about 1/2 second) on calls--it's noticeably longer than my existing (but hopefully not for long) land line. I tried changing to OpenDNS as another thread suggested, but that didn't really do much. Here's my speed test results--I'm not sure why the server --> you results list "off"--is this maybe part of the problem? Otherwise things look good.

QOS, btw, is set for 750 up and 1200 down.

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.4 ms
Jitter: server --> you: off
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: off
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.2

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 1267200 bps
Upload speed: 767792 bps
Quality of service: 87 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 204 ms
Average download pause: 10 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 63 ms
Average round trip time to server: 64 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 1280000bps
Route concurrency: 1.010101
Download TCP forced idle: 0 %
Maximum route speed: 8321904bps
#49870 by rodak
Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:17 am
I have the exact same problem, and was just fixing to post about it here, when I saw this post. I wanted first to see if this was normal. I got the same delay (or lag,or latency, whatever you want to call it) with Magic Jack. I get good call quality with Ooma, and am happy with it so far, but this delay is annoying - you have to pace your conversation carefully, or you and the person on the other end wind up stepping on each other's sentences.

I have not done any tweaking of my configuration - I currently have the 2B setup (Modem ==> Router ===> Ooma), and am using a Telo.

If it's normal, I'll just try to get used to it. If not, then is there anything I can do about it? I have a WRT54GL flashed with Tomato 1.23, so I do have some flexibility there, if necessary.
#51938 by kwm
Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:57 am
I have the same lag and my wife is begining to complain. Can anyone offer some advice on how to get rid of this issue? :?:
Thanks
kwm
#53274 by Soundjudgment
Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:14 pm
"" my wife is begininng to complain. Can anyone offer some advice on how to get rid of this issue? ""

Call a Divorce Attorney.
#53283 by swyman18
Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:21 pm
I agree the delay/lag is annoying, but I think it's something you just have to get used to. Similar to talking to someone on a cell phone, it can sometimes make for an awkward conversation.
#53286 by Davesworld
Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:22 am
For there to be more than perceptible lag, this is an indication of packet loss and/or high latency to the server. Your latency to the server itself should be under 100ms if possible. POTS has some lag as well and so do cellphones. The key is to have the round trip delay under 200ms. I believe the ITU rates 165ms and below as what will be unnoticeable.

I read in horror that you disabled your firewall. Trust me, your firewall is not doing this. Please do not open your network to the world. You'll have much worse problems than voice lag.

What are your results here? http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html

I really wish people would test this before even thinking about voip.

EDIT: Of course the last statement is not directed at the OP but please protect your network.

One caveat on the test linked above and used by the OP is where the test server is versus where YOU are in relation to the Ooma servers and any possible routing issues between you and Ooma.

Are you able to see in your router the Ooma server ip addresses? I'm in Washington State and doing a traceroute too Ooma is a short trip without many hops. I have 11 hops, 10 beyond my router.
#53857 by kwm
Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:13 am
It may be my imagination but the lag seems to be less than it used to be. I have not changed anything. The download quality of service changes drastically between tests. Most of the time it is lower than the number shown below. I do have the ooma between my router and my modem so it is controlling the QOS.

Do you have any suggestions?

Below are my statistics from the website that Davesworld suggested:

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.4 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 14.0 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 2.2 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 3.5

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 693768 bps
Upload speed: 373416 bps
Download quality of service: 59 %
Upload quality of service: 94 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 295 ms
Average download pause: 38 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 188 ms
Average round trip time to server: 795 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 1360000bps
Route concurrency: 1.9603095
Download TCP forced idle: 51 %
Maximum route speed: 2788720bps

BTW - Soundjudgement,
I think I will keep the wife before I keep the ooma but thanks for the advice anyway.
#53892 by southsound
Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:02 pm
kwm wrote:I have the same lag and my wife is begining to complain. Can anyone offer some advice on how to get rid of this issue? :?:
Thanks
kwm

Better to just make it so it isn't an issue. I've had great success with flowers, a nice card, little love notes placed where she will find them (in the coffee can, her lingerie drawer, in the silverware drawer), and telling her how much better my life is since I met her. In over 27 years we've gotten past a lot of issues - including ooma. Give her a big hug and see if that doesn't help.

Oh - and if that fails, the forum is a great place for technical advice too.

They don't call me "The Love Doctor" for nothing. Sigh, actually, they don't call me the love doctor at all. I guess "resident raccoon" will have to do.

Did we say Welcome to ooma yet? :cool:
#53897 by Davesworld
Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:36 am
Soundjudgment wrote:"" my wife is begininng to complain. Can anyone offer some advice on how to get rid of this issue? ""

Call a Divorce Attorney.

We all know you meant the lag issue but the sentence makes it look as if your wife's complaining is THE issue.
#53977 by kwm
Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:08 pm
I really have to be more careful about the way that I word things in the future. It does look like I could have been discussing my wife instead of the lag issue. I think Southsound has the right idea. I really need to do a few of those little steps to let my wife know that she is important. I am not very good at the thoughtful things.

It appears that there is no fix for the lag issue.

Thanks for all of the input!
kwm