This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#49798 by just4fn
Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:00 am
Let me start by saying my ooma clarity is fine- 95% of the time. When its not it is because my qos is low. I would like to know what comcast voip or vonage voip do different so they get better quality. I know there are people on this forum that have issues with break up and echo and other stuff. If all these voip services use the internet whats the difference?

I have never had Vonage so they may have quality issues also but I did have Comcast and never had a problem. I have ported to Ooma and if they make it illegal they will have to pry my hub from my cold dead hands.
#49805 by DTMF
Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:44 am
The quality difference probably has to do with codec selection. During times of reduced bandwidth on the connection, it's critical for the device to select a codec that will continue to pass audio despite the lack of bandwidth. The sacrifice with selecting low-bandwidth codecs is that the audio sounds noticeably worse. The other providers may use different codecs or have different thresholds for when they select lower-bandwidth codecs.
#49808 by MakoCSH
Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:45 pm
They have a private network with full QoS control inbound and outbound.
#50821 by da-cam
Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:47 am
I have come to believe that one of the big quality issues is simply jitter tolerance. i have started to use skype video calls and have not had ANY sound quality issues like i get with ooma conversations. i think ooma has almost no tolerance for jitter on the line and for that simple reason, voice quality suffers.
#50877 by tryan
Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:35 am
I suspect ooma - being the new kid on the block and stealing market share - is being blocked or delayed by ISPs. Vonage had to sue to clear the lines.
#50985 by just4fn
Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:12 pm
My understanding is there is a big fine to company's if they are blocking something and thus lowering quality or not being able to use it at all.
Last edited by just4fn on Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#50992 by Davesworld
Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:11 pm
da-cam wrote:I have come to believe that one of the big quality issues is simply jitter tolerance. i have started to use skype video calls and have not had ANY sound quality issues like i get with ooma conversations. i think ooma has almost no tolerance for jitter on the line and for that simple reason, voice quality suffers.

Yes, jitter is a big enemy. As a side project I am using a sip account from another ITSP and using an Audiocdes MP-118 FXS*. There is a steep learning curve for this device but the jitter buffer is adjustable and the default is 10ms. I am able to watch real time stats via web gui while on a call. 99% of the time, my jitter is within that 10 milliseconds. Of course if you were to buffer too much, you would increase your delay by that much.

To the real techie, logging into to Ooma ATA's leaves you wanting. I would love to see stats. I'm anxious to see when they release sip credentials.

* I only wanted an MP-114 FXS with it's four FXS phone ports but I got a few refurbed 118's with eight ports for cheap.