This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#51949 by joewagner501
Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:01 am
I am using the top tier from Clear. I had no choice in switching from Verizon because Verizon was pulling out of my complex. The connection is really good and I have logged over 8Mbps down. The problem is with my outgoing voice on Ooma. Incoming is fine, but outgoing is all broken up.

This is odd since they offer their own VOIP service.
#52022 by raindrop
Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:43 pm
raindrop wrote:I am having two issues since last night (3/28/2010).

1) One is the same outgoing calls quality being poor.

2) My DSL is not as fast as you guys, I am running only 1.5Mbps/256Kbps DSL. My Ooma Hub is directly connected to DSL Modem/Router combo and all the other PCs are connected through the Ooma. Usually I do not have any problems with this setup but since yesterday evening my Internet connection became slower than 56k dial-up. When I plugged-in my PC directly in to DSL Modem/Router speed returned to normal. Then for experiment I connected Ooma Hub to DSL Modem and connected PC to Ooma Hub, again Internet connection became slower than dial-up. There is definitely something going on with the Ooma devices.

I think it may be some new firmware loaded into Ooma devices. Can you guys please post your firmware number while reporting the issues?
BTW my firmware version is Rev: 33454.33454

Thanks.

Ok I figured it out. I connected the Ooma hub directly to the DSL modem and disconnected all other devices on the network and all voice qualityissues went away. So I thought some device on the network is causing the trouble.

Then I started connecting all the devices one by one and noticed that a bit torrent client on a set top box (Popcorn Hour) is causing the voice quality issues in Ooma hub. The traffic does not need to be heavy, even 40Kbps inbound and 8Kbps outbound is enough to cause breakup in the voice calls. Changing QoS settings in Ooma has no effect on this torrent client. Obviously Ooma's QoS settings are not throttling this bit torrent client. However all other web traffic (i.e you tube videos) has no effect on the call quality since Ooma hub's Qos system takes care of it.

May be something for the Ooma support to look into.

Raindrop.
#52045 by MakoCSH
Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:54 am
joewagner501 wrote:This is odd since they offer their own VOIP service.

They provide VOIP on their own private network with their own built in QoS (which Ooma doesn't have access to.) That's comparing apples to oranges.
#52052 by joewagner501
Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:11 am
MakoCSH wrote:
joewagner501 wrote:This is odd since they offer their own VOIP service.

They provide VOIP on their own private network with their own built in QoS (which Ooma doesn't have access to.) That's comparing apples to oranges.

How is that comparing apples to oranges?
#52053 by joewagner501
Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:13 am
Raindrop, I am not using a bt client. I will, however try disconnecting everything else and see what impact that has. I have the Ooma connected between the modem and my router so I will try connecting it to the router as well. All this testing to be done. Good thing the weekend is here.