This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#49675 by jack_bauer
Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:40 pm
Hello,
I've had Ooma for a year now, but I've just recently ported my number. Ever since then, on numerous occasions, the people on the other end of the phone have mentioned that they can't hear me at all. It's not static, but more like pauses. They've mentioned that when ever I try to say something they only seem to hear fragments of each word. I usually have to hang up the phone and call them again. Do you guys have any tips on how I can fix this? Thanks.
#49898 by leatherneck
Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:00 pm
I have similar issue. When on the phone, I can hear other side clearly, but the other side usually complains about my voice is breaking up badly. I had tried to hook Modem-->Ooma-->Router, the voice quality improves but it sometimes bring down my net work, so I end up restarting modeming/router a lot. Now I have reconfigured them as Modem-->Router-->Ooma, the Internet is much more stable, but Ooma outging voice quality is bad. FYI, my Router is DIR-615 (D-link). I have AT&T DSL top speed. Anyone have good suggestion to solve this issue?

Thanks,

R
#49902 by murphy
Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:08 pm
leatherneck wrote:I have similar issue. When on the phone, I can hear other side clearly, but the other side usually complains about my voice is breaking up badly. I had tried to hook Modem-->Ooma-->Router, the voice quality improves but it sometimes bring down my net work, so I end up restarting modeming/router a lot. Now I have reconfigured them as Modem-->Router-->Ooma, the Internet is much more stable, but Ooma outging voice quality is bad. FYI, my Router is DIR-615 (D-link). I have AT&T DSL top speed. Anyone have good suggestion to solve this issue?

Thanks,

R

Connect a computer to the Home port of the ooma box (if it's a wireless laptop, disable the wireless).
Connect to http://setup.ooma.com or http://172.27.35.1 if the first one doesn't work.
Select the Network page.
Click the radio button that says to Use the built in MAC address.
Click update.
Try the ooma between your modem and router again. (You will have to power cycle the modem).
#49944 by Dozer
Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:05 am
I found that by checking your upload speed you then can then set the quality of your Ooma below that speed. For example, my upload speed for my home is about 380 MPS, so I set my OOma quality below that say 340. That way, my voice going out(upload) is well below what my bandwidth can carry. That's why you always here the other person great, they're coming through your download side which is always much faster. Good luck
#50033 by leatherneck
Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:21 pm
I had followed other posting for router DIR-655 (because I could not find any tips for DIR-615). I prefer to connect ooma behind rounter. My setup.ooma.com is not accessible from 172.27.35.1, as I change it to 192.168.1.200. Also, I reserved some bandwidth for port one on router for ooma. The radio button is already set at "Use the Built in MAC address." I had called home from work today and the quality is not as bad as others described, perhaps they (those who complained) had bad hearing. I also noticed that the same group of people complain about the outgoing quality. Maybe it has something to do with the phones they are using.

R
#50075 by oomg
Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:46 am
Dozer wrote:I found that by checking your upload speed you then can then set the quality of your Ooma below that speed. For example, my upload speed for my home is about 380 MPS, so I set my OOma quality below that say 340. That way, my voice going out(upload) is well below what my bandwidth can carry. That's why you always here the other person great, they're coming through your download side which is always much faster. Good luck

Is that 380Mps? I use AT&T Elite DSL... advertised at 6.0Mbps (download) and 795 Kbps (upload). Recent internet speed tests have all returned similar results, to wit: approx. 3.5 Mbps (download) and 0.64 (upload) with the most recent test yeilding the following:
Last Result:
Download Speed: 3613 kbps (451.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 655 kbps (81.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

The outgoing voice quality on my system seems to have deterioriated a little over the past few weeks although incoming is fine. Any explanation?
#50133 by wildbill
Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:16 pm
I am also hearing my voice break up just a little. Did some test calls. My telo is connected direct to the ATT Uverse router.

After reading some of the other post from customers I thought I would check mine and the audio does break up just a little bit every 20 seconds or so more or less.. its not a big hole in the audio but I can tell that the audio does chop on outgoing calls. not sure about incoming calls. Maybe the next firmware update will fix this audio issue.

--Bill
#50147 by Davesworld
Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:32 am
Dozer wrote:I found that by checking your upload speed you then can then set the quality of your Ooma below that speed. For example, my upload speed for my home is about 380 MPS, so I set my OOma quality below that say 340. That way, my voice going out(upload) is well below what my bandwidth can carry. That's why you always here the other person great, they're coming through your download side which is always much faster. Good luck

This only matters if you have the Ooma device between the modem and router. If it is behind the router, set both to 0 to disable. It's up to the router to prioritize. For one conversation using the normal (iLBC) and not the fax (g.711) codec, your upload bandwidth would only be 30kbs just as your download speed would be.

Even if you did use your Ooma device between the router and modem, setting your QOS anywhere near or above 200 would be a total waste unless you have several phone conversations at once from that single device. You only need the amount of reserve bandwidth to be slightly higher than the amount of bandwidth the codec multiplied by the number of simultaneous calls you ever could use. Anything beyond that will in no way improve your outbound quality. Jitter, latency and packet loss are the culprits working against voip performance, bandwidth is seldom an issue these days.
#50190 by wildbill
Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:09 pm
I was just wondering is it just the Telo that has the outgoing call audio clipping issue or does this happen on the older Ooma Hubs too?.. Im not using a landline. just the ooma phone number and the telo is connected direct to the AT&T router.

--Bill
#51319 by leatherneck
Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:00 pm
After adjusting my upload and download speed in setup.ooma.com, my outgoing voice quality improved dramatically. I noticed that I have mistakenly set the upload and download speed, i.e., switching the values. I choose about 70-80% of my measured upload speed in ooma setting. Also, I disconnected my phone from ooma scout, and hook up the phone to ooma hub directly. Now when I call home, the voice quality is just like landline in either way.

One more observation, when testing VOIP voice quality, I sometimes get "Quality of Service" measured at 6%, another time will be 57%. It is just fluctuating a lot. Don't know what had caused that. Every other perimeters are in the green zones.

R