This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#48451 by bjdyl
Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:40 pm
murphy wrote:Jitter should be less than 5 ms.
Packet loss should be 0.
Download and upload QOS should be at least 70%.
Maximum TCP delay should be under 100 ms.

Try this. Connect to the status web page in your cable modem

http://192.168.100.1

Find the downstream and upstream power in dBmV and the Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR) and report back.

The downstream signal power should be between -10 and +10 dBmV. (Some say between -15 and +15 but I feel that is pushing your luck)

The SNR should be 35 or more.

The upstream power level should be less than 55 dBmV.

I'm sorry but I don't have the username and password for this http://192.168.100.1 . It's only showing my cable information, Cable Modem Information, MAC Address Serial Number and etc. Do you have ideas how to do navigate on this link? It says ambit broadband... I'm not really good on this so sorry for the inconvenience. Thanks.
#48464 by murphy
Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:45 am
There is no user name or password. There should be a signal level status screen that gives you the current values for the signal levels.
#48484 by allo
Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:46 am
bjdyl wrote:...

I'm sorry but I don't have the username and password for this http://192.168.100.1 . It's only showing my cable information, Cable Modem Information, MAC Address Serial Number and etc. Do you have ideas how to do navigate on this link? It says ambit broadband... I'm not really good on this so sorry for the inconvenience. Thanks.

MENU is at the top of the Screen: (see Attachment- pic)
Attachments
Capture M.JPG
Capture M.JPG (35.41 KiB) Viewed 4264 times
#48623 by jhutchings
Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:17 pm
Ok, just thought I would give an update. I have had this for now going on two weeks. No issues what so ever. Sound on both ends are crystal clear. The only "issue" and I would not call this an issue is that the sound is not as good when using the scout. Otherwise in the current configuration I have it in. Modem, Router, Hub, works very well. I have the port the hub is connected to on the router configured for high priority. Really I don't think I even need that. I know that everyone's setup can be different but I would not hesitate to recommend this to other people. Again thanks for all the help supplied in this forum.
#48647 by caseybea
Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:08 pm
jhutchings wrote:The only "issue" and I would not call this an issue is that the sound is not as good when using the scout.

I beg to differ, using the scout with a phone is a huge issue, and ooma has never acknowledged this. Specifically, the call quality as perceived from the person on the remote end of the call is absolutely horrible, scratchy, etc. next time you're using your phone+scout, ask the person you're talking to how the call is....
#48648 by mthomtech
Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:00 am
Although I had the scout issue you are referring too (and I was quite active in troubleshooting it with Ooma), I don't think it was a universal issue with all Scout users, just a good number of us.

I'd be interested in jhutchings results.
#48669 by jhutchings
Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:51 am
I would agree with your post, the call quality with the scout is terrible. Until I figured out what was going on I was going to take the unit back. For me, I am using only one phone line, so as I stated not a big problem for me. I do agree that if I was using two lines this would be serious. I agree with other users, the sound coming out to callers on the other end is very scratchy. There is a huge difference between scout and hub connected phones. So yes, this is a big issue. After trying Nettalk where the device would have to be rebooted every few hours and a magic jack, OOMA has been so much better than the other solutions for me. I also use a linksys PAP2 ata with sipgate, gizmo5 and the sound quality through the linksys is also very good.
#48670 by bjdyl
Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:57 am
allo wrote:
bjdyl wrote:...

MENU is at the top of the Screen: (see Attachment- pic)

[img]Seriously, I don't have that options. It has a log in link and when you click that it's asking for username and password. And if I open that page with the computer directly connected to the cable modem, the page is blank.
#48671 by murphy
Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:59 am
What brand is your cable modem.
I'm on my third one and they all had the signal strength status available.
#48673 by bjdyl
Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:08 am
murphy wrote:What brand is your cable modem.
I'm on my third one and they all had the signal strength status available.

I'm not home right now so I have to check that later when I get home. Not sure but it says ambit broadband...