This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#47835 by southsound
Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:51 pm
bjdyl wrote:I have road runner, the problem is they're the only one that covering our areas for the moment. And that's the reason maybe why it's congested and causing jitter that high. Can't we do anything else about it?

One more thing, how do i explain it to the ISP about that jitter? There was a time I called and the support had no idea about that jitter and finally he transferred me to his supervisor and saying that the jitter has nothing to do with the voice quality and they have nothing to do with that choppy sound. And she told me to call ooma instead.

Please do not make multiple posts of the same issue!
http://www.ooma.com/forums/search.php?author_id=7653&sr=posts
#47841 by southsound
Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:58 pm
bjdyl wrote:Ok. I just wanted to get more information as possible that's why I did it. Sorry about that.. Thanks for the help Aveamantium. God bless.

No offense taken. Most of the heavy posters on this forum (read: ones who help others a lot) use the view active topics or view new post link to see what needs to be dealt with. Multiple posts just flood the screen. It's a learning curve since this forum is a lot more helpful than any of the others I have ever used. And thanks for the blessing! :cool:
#47864 by Bill D
Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:58 pm
jhutchings wrote:No thank you, you also confirmed the difference in phone quality between the hub and scout.

I'll add my thanks to you both for your confirmation of what I believe - that all Scouts have poor quality sound - Even though many folks post that their Scouts have equal call quality to their Hubs, I believe they are all mistaken.
However, like both of you, I'm very impressed with the call quality on my Hubs.

Bill
Last edited by Bill D on Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#47879 by jhutchings
Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:17 pm
I have had the opportunity to hear both sides of phone conversations with my OOMA. I will say I am still very glad I woke up last Sunday and bought this thing. Crystal clear both up and down stream. So again thanks to everyone on this board for all the tips. And yes the scout in my opinion does not have the same clarity as the hub.
#48330 by bjdyl
Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:10 pm
Aveamantium wrote:Is your ISP wireless (wired ISPs like cable/dsl are better with respect to jitter)? Like you mentioned, anything above about 10ms on jitter will cause issues. And unfortunately, yes the ISP is the only one that can fix this. You could always tell them you're moving on to a competitor if they can't fix it!?

Also, run the test here http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html and report back with the detailed results for us to take a look at.

Sorry for the delayed information: below are the results of the test.

1st result:

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 173.0 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 4.2 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.5 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 3.6

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 3451520 bps
Upload speed: 540600 bps
Download quality of service: 12 %
Upload quality of service: 68 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 358 ms
Average download pause: 15 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 2 ms
Average round trip time to server: 2 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 64000000bps
Route concurrency: 18.542555
Download TCP forced idle: 0 %
Maximum route speed: 262140000bps

2nd result:

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 77.2 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.9 ms
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.4 %
Packet discards: 0.3 %

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 6302272 bps
Upload speed: 669168 bps
Download quality of service: 8 %
Upload quality of service: 53 %
Maximum TCP delay: 644 ms
Average download pause: 7 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 1 ms
Average round trip time to server: 1 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 48000000bps
Route concurrency: 7.616301
Download TCP forced idle: 0 %
Maximum route speed: 524280000bps

What do you think is causing the choppy sound? thanks for the help...
#48331 by bjdyl
Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:23 pm
Aveamantium wrote:Is your ISP wireless (wired ISPs like cable/dsl are better with respect to jitter)? Like you mentioned, anything above about 10ms on jitter will cause issues. And unfortunately, yes the ISP is the only one that can fix this. You could always tell them you're moving on to a competitor if they can't fix it!?

Also, run the test here http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html and report back with the detailed results for us to take a look at.

I have cable internet supposedly 10mb download and 1mb upload but I don't think I'm getting that much this time... I think it gets congested most of the time... Do you think DSL 1.0mb download and 387kbps upload will do the job instead of the cable internet? I'm planning to switch to verizon if that's going to work. Please help, right now I can't use the ooma because of that problem and it's gonna be waste if we can't do anything about this. Below is the other result I tested, this is around 1130 in the evening:

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 153.5 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 5.2 ms
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.2 %
Packet discards: 0.5 %

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 306448 bps
Upload speed: 333280 bps
Download quality of service: 55 %
Upload quality of service: 75 %
Maximum TCP delay: 979 ms
Average download pause: 168 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 2 ms
Average round trip time to server: 2 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 306448bps
Route concurrency: --
Download TCP forced idle: --
Maximum route speed: 262140000bps
#48332 by murphy
Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:38 am
Those are horrible numbers.

There is something wrong with your internet connection.
How many splits are there between the incoming cable and the cable modem?
There should be no more than one split and the splitter must be a bi-directional splitter.

Turn off your cable modem.
Connect a computer directly to the cable modem.
Turn on the cable modem.
Wait for sync with your ISP.
Rerun the test.
Post the results.
#48353 by bjdyl
Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:26 am
murphy wrote:Those are horrible numbers.

There is something wrong with your internet connection.
How many splits are there between the incoming cable and the cable modem?
There should be no more than one split and the splitter must be a bi-directional splitter.

Turn off your cable modem.
Connect a computer directly to the cable modem.
Turn on the cable modem.
Wait for sync with your ISP.
Rerun the test.
Post the results.

I have no idea about that splitter. I can ask the ISP if you want. I only know that the cable internet is connected from the wall jack to the cable modem.
I tested that directly connected to the cable modem.
Can you explain more further what's the problem with my test results so I can tell them what's wrong. Is that normal with the cable internet? I plan to switch to verizon for 1.0mb download and 380+mb upload if this won't solve the problem, they have dsl connection. I'm not just sure if this can fix the issue.
#48356 by murphy
Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:23 am
Jitter should be less than 5 ms.
Packet loss should be 0.
Download and upload QOS should be at least 70%.
Maximum TCP delay should be under 100 ms.

Try this. Connect to the status web page in your cable modem

http://192.168.100.1

Find the downstream and upstream power in dBmV and the Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR) and report back.

The downstream signal power should be between -10 and +10 dBmV. (Some say between -15 and +15 but I feel that is pushing your luck)

The SNR should be 35 or more.

The upstream power level should be less than 55 dBmV.