This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#47411 by BCam
Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:58 pm
I'm new to ooma and have installed a Telo after my Surfboard 5100 modem accessing Comcast internet (modem -->Telo -->router). I'm only using Comcast for internet, not TV or phone. I've had complaints from callers (and those I've called) that my ooma calls are broken (I hear them fine other than a little static and occasional echos of my voice).

When I run VOIP speed tests, one minute I'll get a result saying that I have good download quality and a couple of minutes later I'll get a result telling me that my download quality is bad and that my connection is unable to support a constant stream of data. At the time these two tests were run, my ooma was idle and, other than the speed test, nothing else was running on my PC or network. Other than the problems with ooma I don't notice any problems in using my internet connection. I have no idea if this has something to do with my hardware or if it is a Comcast problem. How do I troubleshoot this?

For example, these two tests were run about two minutes apart with dramatically different download quality percentages (I've listed the complete results since I don't know what else is important):

VoIP test statistics (Test 1/Test 2)
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 2.8 ms/3.5ms
Jitter: server --> you: 4.8 ms/5.5ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %/0.0%
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %/0.0%
Packet discards: 0.0 %/0.0%
Packets out of order: 0.0 %/0.0%
Estimated MOS score: 4.0/4.0

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 14463872 bps/11446424 bps
Upload speed: 1940496 bps/1933872 bps
Download quality of service: 84 %/42%
Upload quality of service: 99 %/98%
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 58 ms/47 ms
Average download pause: 1 ms/1ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 27 ms/27ms
Average round trip time to server: 29 ms/28ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 16800000bps/12800000bps
Route concurrency: 1.1615148/1.1182532
Download TCP forced idle: 0 %/0%
Maximum route speed: 19417776bps/19417776bps
#47431 by BCam
Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:17 pm
Downstream Value
Frequency 555000000 Hz Locked
Signal to Noise Ratio 36 dB
Power Level -2 dBmV
The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading
Upstream Value
Channel ID 1
Frequency 33008000 Hz Ranged
Power Level 34 dBmV
#47461 by amoney
Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:42 am
You say no TV service, is your modem connected strieght to the cable box outside or is it connected split off the rest of the house coax wiring. Remove as many spliters as possible if they exist. Is your coax good cabling, RG6 or thinner RG9?
#47489 by BCam
Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:12 am
The cable is labeled "CATV 18 AWG". The Comcast junction box at the street is at the end of my driveway. The cable from it comes out of the ground at my house where there is a connector to a second piece of coax that runs up to my eaves where there's a grounded connector (I think it's called a ground block) that connects to a third piece of coax in addition to a ground wire, which connects to a copper ground stake. From there the third piece of coax runs to the back of my house, through the wall (no junction) directly to the modem. Both the connector and grounded junction appear to be of the weather-proof type with rubber seals.

Comcast Box ------- Connector ----------- Ground Block (grounded) ------------Modem-------telo-------router

I was thinking of taking my modem and laptop outside and connecting to the coax coming out of the ground to see what the test results were there.

If my cabling was the problem would it cause an intermittent issue rather than a constantly bad connection?
#47550 by amoney
Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:58 pm
Well first your upload seems great, I was a little perplex seeing your download having issues, but it could just be a fluke. Yet download would not account for the people on the other end hearing you choppy, as your upload is seemingly good.

I forgot to ask what your setup is, modem>router>ooma or modem>ooma>router

Perform the test with computer directly connected to the modem. repeat with Ooma, then repeat with router connected.

Also what kind of phone are you using, try with wired?
#47556 by BCam
Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:29 pm
As noted above my connection is modem > ooma > router

I've used both wireless and wired handsets and, although the wired handset is cleaner at my end, both have the quality issues in terms of my callers getting cut-outs from me.

My test results continue to be flaky including some with both low upload quality as well as low download quality (as low as 15% - 30%) but they continue to bounce around. I ran a couple of tests at the point the coax comes out of the ground with my laptop connected directly to the modem and the results were similar.

I did increase my upstream speed on my ooma to 800 from the default and it seems to have helped but it's hard to tell since it may just be that my calls happened to occur when I had a good connection.

I just ran another test and my download quality was 34% and my upload quality was 67%.

I haven't called either ooma or Comcast support yet on this current issue. Based on prior experience with Comcast support, they only care that I'm getting internet and dismiss everything else by saying that I should call ooma.
#47569 by amoney
Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:10 pm
BCam wrote:As noted above my connection is modem > ooma > router

I've used both wireless and wired handsets and, although the wired handset is cleaner at my end, both have the quality issues in terms of my callers getting cut-outs from me.

My test results continue to be flaky including some with both low upload quality as well as low download quality (as low as 15% - 30%) but they continue to bounce around. I ran a couple of tests at the point the coax comes out of the ground with my laptop connected directly to the modem and the results were similar.

I did increase my upstream speed on my ooma to 800 from the default and it seems to have helped but it's hard to tell since it may just be that my calls happened to occur when I had a good connection.

I just ran another test and my download quality was 34% and my upload quality was 67%.

I haven't called either ooma or Comcast support yet on this current issue. Based on prior experience with Comcast support, they only care that I'm getting internet and dismiss everything else by saying that I should call ooma.

Sorry I for some reason skipped over your setup info.

I understand about Comcast, I would definetly call them out for service to check the line signal. It may be your modem, see if you can swap with a neighbor for a few minutes. Comcast has no issues changing out a modem either, you can even stop by their office to swap it out.
#50326 by BCam
Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:15 am
To close the loop on this one, I think I've solved at least 90% of the problem with a new cable modem. After calls to both Comcast and ooma, I decided to switch out my cable modem with Comcast even though the Comcast tech said the modem looked good from his end. I believe that the intermittent nature of the problem kept him from getting a representative read from his end. Conversely, when I was on the phone with ooma, the quality was terrible and we had to switch to my cell phone. My speed/quality tests still vary but not as dramatically as before the modem replacement.

Kudos to both the Comcast and ooma techs. Both were competent, helpful and logical, both refrained from the finger-pointing that I expected and my wait was tolerable. Amazing!

After running innumerable speed/quality tests it strikes me that the tool we need is something we can turn on and have it monitor the connection for an extended period of time in order to get a complete picture. It's clear to me that internet issues that are either not noticeable or minor when surfing the web can be critical with VOIP. When something glitches while web-surfing, one just refreshes the page or waits a little longer for something to load. With VOIP, the same glitch makes communication impossible.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my posting.