This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#46964 by amoney
Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:32 pm
southsound wrote:
amoney wrote:I am contantly working in mixed wireless environments 2.4, 5.8, G netowrks, even what I hate N networks, and I never see interference between devices, mostly because they are on different channels.

I have only seen one thread hear that detailed that the wireless router was operating on the same default channel as the wireless handsets which cause computer wireless interruption. Simple changing of the wireless channel was the fix.

I'm glad for you that you have had such great experience with your mixed networks. There are MANY posts in the forum that will tell you that there are problems that may strike without notice. You see, even though a phone may work fine for a while, they are frequency agile devices by design. Ever wonder what the little "chan" button does on your phone? It changes the channel on your 2.4ghz or 5.8ghz handlet so if you are getting noise, they can switch to a different channel. Most folks assume that a 5.8ghz phone is OK with a wireless b or g network, but many of these phones also use 2.4ghz for non-voice control signals between the base and handset. Back to 2.4ghz, I have a Plantronics CT-12 that is such a brute that it doesn't even matter what channel it is on - use it and wireless goes away. And if you think that draft N systems are immune, you need to realize that the spec requires LEGACY compliance which means 2.4ghz.

Edit: Just read your question about a typo. NO, see my comment above regarding how some work in red. If you need, I can post some links to spec sheets that validate what I am saying.


No no, I am very happy to learn and trust your knowledge, I did not realize about non voice controls overlapping 2.4ghz. Thank you!

Your starting to give me ideas with Plantronics CT-12, lol.

And by no means due I even like the draft N standard, it is a wireless polluter that swamps all the common frequencies. I wish it was never created. One needs fast speed, use a wired connection I say.

I think I posed my question earlier in another thread but seemingly lost where it was, not sure if you answered my question before, if you did, did not see it.

PEACE!

:)
#46966 by murphy
Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:36 pm
amoney wrote:I think I posed my question earlier in another thread but seemingly lost where it was, not sure if you answered my question before, if you did, did not see it.

Click on "View your posts" at the top of the page to see all of your posts.
#46967 by southsound
Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:45 pm
amoney wrote: No no, I am very happy to learn and trust your knowledge, I did not realize about non voice controls overlapping 2.4ghz. Thank you!

Your starting to give me ideas with Plantronics CT-12, lol.

And by no means due I even like the draft N standard, it is a wireless polluter that swamps all the common frequencies. I wish it was never created. One needs fast speed, use a wired connection I say.

I think I posed my question earlier in another thread but seemingly lost where it was, not sure if you answered my question before, if you did, did not see it.
:)

Thank you for the vote of confidence. Although I have quite an extensive backgound in telephony and some in computers and programming, I knew little about networking or VOIP when I first took the jump to ooma a year ago. Wow! What an educational journey. You are also a very frequent poster which means you follow all the new posts. You will not regret the knowledge you will gain by doing so.

On to my CT-12 - I wish the silly thing would break so I could justify a CT-14 (Same thing with DECT 6.0). When my son was here visiting for a couple of weeks, I could knock him off his laptop from the other end of the house. In my office, I have gone to a wired connection even though I am only 5' from my router. I haven't gone wireless N yet as I only use WiFi for my iPod Touch and when a guest comes over with their PC.

You mentioned a question in another post - I'm not sure if I answered it above or if it still is out there? And thanks again for your activity on the forum. I'm convinced that a group of people like ourselves can add greatly to ooma's success. There is no possible way for the company to train a front end response team to handle some of the strange configurations or problems that come our way - but if a person really wants to solve and issue and not just complain, this is the perfect place for it. I greatly respect the awesome wisdom of my fellow posters!
#46968 by amoney
Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:02 pm
murphy wrote:
amoney wrote:I think I posed my question earlier in another thread but seemingly lost where it was, not sure if you answered my question before, if you did, did not see it.

Click on "View your posts" at the top of the page to see all of your posts.


I surf this forum exclusively through the view new posts link, yes I am aware I can see mine, but I appreciate the reminder.

For some reason I have the hardest time searching this forum compared to others, the keyword are just not unique enough to filter out non related posts, once and awhile I will get good results. Anyways...

You convinced me to go dig, and I think I found it, it was actually a question for Tommies...

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5869

I know Southsound has elaborated lots on this subject, and I thank him for his info!

Cheers to everyone!
#47088 by kusche25
Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:36 pm
Well I bought a new dect 6.0 phone system, changed settings, moved the ooma from in front of the router to behind the router and still getting kicked off the phone at times, especially while on the internet. I have had the same wireless router for over 2 years and never had this problem till I got the ooma.
#47092 by kusche25
Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:06 pm
Just ran this test if someone smarter than me can tell me if it looks good.

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 1.6 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 10.3 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 3.9

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 1955928 bps
Upload speed: 370968 bps
Download quality of service: 98 %
Upload quality of service: 77 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 28 ms
Average download pause: 14 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 88 ms
Average round trip time to server: 91 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 2160000bps
Route concurrency: 1.1043351
Download TCP forced idle: 0 %
Maximum route speed: 5957720bps
#47099 by overhand
Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:30 pm
I have AT&T. My experience with ISP has been that VOIP is dependent on the line performance of that service. Get your Service provider performance FIXED 1st. Bug them constantly until it's the best they can do. You're done with them now.

Next, draw up your physical connections into a schematic on paper so you know -EXACTLY- how your system is configured. Scan it, ready to email to Ooma technical support.

If they find a problem with the connections, settings, QOS, etc. then change it. 1st level support should be able to handle this process.

I called Ooma regarding their constant, daily, multiple dropped calls that I have every week. And, from my 1 year of experience with Ooma, is that their 2nd level support will REFUSES to RETURN CALLS & WILL NOT assist you or help with dropped call situation. You are -very much- on your own relative to this if the problem persists.

Good luck!
#47121 by kusche25
Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:24 am
Just out of curiosity, how come on this page, my phone says it is disconnected? Is everyone elses page look like this?

Your ooma Network is Connected

Internet: Connected
Ooma Core: Connected

Phone Line: Disconnected

Ooma Services

Phone Setup: Your phone line is configured for the ooma network
Second Line: Enabled

Voice Mail: Enabled
#47139 by murphy
Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:40 am
kusche25 wrote:Just out of curiosity, how come on this page, my phone says it is disconnected? Is everyone elses page look like this?

Your ooma Network is Connected

Internet: Connected
Ooma Core: Connected

Phone Line: Disconnected

Ooma Services

Phone Setup: Your phone line is configured for the ooma network
Second Line: Enabled

Voice Mail: Enabled

You don't have a live land line connected to the Wall port.
That is normal if you didn't integrate your land line.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests