This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#49169 by Soundjudgment
Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:01 am
Now you are cookin' with gaaaaaaaaaaaasss!
It is always better to correct the deficiencies at the source of the problem, than sticking band-aids on each end.

Enjoy!
#49826 by JTalbert
Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:17 pm
Ok, again, having serious QoS issues.

I am at my last straw... I was having problem with my Panasonic handsets today, could not make calls, thought they died. Bought a second Ooma handset today and disconnected my panny's altogether, and called and talked to someone tonight, first we sounded like we were under water, than we were breaking up, and they kept cutting in and out to us.. Here are two separate Viop test results. Each from different test servers.

I just ran a voip test and I have very serious jitter, which explains the broken sound. Here are the results.

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 21.7 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 0.9 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 3.8

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 4915392 bps
Upload speed: 2339344 bps
Download quality of service: 62 %
Upload quality of service: 80 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 310 ms
Average download pause: 5 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 78 ms
Average round trip time to server: 81 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 28000000bps
Route concurrency: 5.696392
Download TCP forced idle: 77 %
Maximum route speed: 6721536bps

On a second test, this time from a server close to me, the Jitter is not bad, but the QoS is horrible only 34%

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 5.6 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 2.0 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 13916880 bps
Upload speed: 2678296 bps
Quality of service: 34 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum download pause: 457 ms
Average download pause: 1 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 16 ms
Average round trip time to server: 25 ms

I at one point, at the recommendation of Cox, changed my QoS upstream setting to 64kbs, In the past I had it set anywhere from 768, to 2100 and 1750, and a few numbers in between, and no matter what QoS I choose, same end result,crappy sound quality.

Cox is pointing blame to the "cloud" and once the packets leave Cox, they have no control over the QoS in the cloud, and so far, I not gotten any sort of suggestion from Ooma.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
#49848 by coldsteel
Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:03 am
Cox does a lot of traffic shaping and filtering so they could just be blowing smoke or maybe want their customers to use only their VOIP service? This is from their own site http://www.cox.com/policy/congestionmanagement/
#49849 by JTalbert
Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:10 am
coldsteel wrote:Cox does a lot of traffic shaping and filtering so they could just be blowing smoke or maybe want their customers to use only their VOIP service? This is from their own site http://www.cox.com/policy/congestionmanagement/

Thanks for the info, but according to the first paragraph, my network should not be affected.

"Updated as of October 15, 2009: In February, Cox began testing a new method of managing traffic on our high-speed Internet network in our Kansas and Arkansas markets. Cox has now completed the congestion management trial. We’re conducting our final engineering analysis of the data gathered during the trial period. We do not plan to further deploy this method at this time. We will continue to explore ways to manage occasional congestion on the network but will not conduct a market trial of any techniques without first updating these Congestion Management FAQs."

It is only in the Kansas and Arkansas markets and they do not plan on deploying it at this time.
#50297 by JTalbert
Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:42 pm
Well, the towel is about to be tossed.

Two months of problems, Ooma cant help with the QoS issues. Cox cant or wont either. Cox says the problem is in the cloud. I have 20 hops to get from my house to Ooma, and the reliability is not there. every night we talk on the phone it gets to the point, they person we are talking to can hear us, but we cant hear them.

My heart drops to my stomach every time the phone rings, especially if its my inlaws. I have enough stress in my life that I dont need the stress of non reliable phone conversation.

I am not blaming Ooma for the problems, wish I could blame cox, but dont know if I can blame them either.

I honestly dont know what else to try.
#50306 by tommies
Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:30 pm
From my experiences with cable (Comcast in Atlanta) the problem is the line from the tap/main trunk into the house. I recently signed up with Comcast, and I told the sale rep. that I will not sign the work order if the technician does not run a new RG11 line to replace the old one (which was buried when the house was build ~30yrs. ago)

It's almost 2 weeks now, and I'm happy with the quality of the connection. I consistency got a least 10Mb down and 2+ Mb up during peak hours and up to 16Mb down and 6Mb up at off peak. Ping test is <17ms more than haff compare to DSL(1.5Mb down/256kb up)