This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#47210 by amoney
Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:52 pm
JTalbert wrote:I have been in contact with someone with Cox and they are looking at the issue, they have run tests on my modem and..

" modem reporting intermittent bursts of data uncorrectable errors"

The person I am in contact with is very helpful. He found me after I made a comment on Oomas twitter account that I am about to give up, the cox tech guy twitted me.

I have noticed improvement since I have changed my splitter, but still experiencing some issues, hopefully they will be able to fix it since they acknowledged problems with my modem.

Thats great someone is reaching out to help.

Do you have RJ59 or RJ6 coax cable??? RJ59 is thinner. Also check to see if all your coax connectors are properly crimped. Not sure about your wiring or yard environment but if there is any damadge to the coax line sometimes outside and moisture gets in your screwed unless it can be located. In that case a Cox tech needs to signal test at your house between points.

I would also be sucpicious of a bad modem. Normally cable companies send out replacement cable modems like candy. Does not hurt to try.

Easiest bet is to call and complain about bad picture quality "snow" etc. to get them to come out and check the lines.

I believe you have a unlimited return period with Costco so I have been told by others.
#47216 by JTalbert
Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:10 pm
amoney wrote:
JTalbert wrote:I have been in contact with someone with Cox and they are looking at the issue, they have run tests on my modem and..

" modem reporting intermittent bursts of data uncorrectable errors"

The person I am in contact with is very helpful. He found me after I made a comment on Oomas twitter account that I am about to give up, the cox tech guy twitted me.

I have noticed improvement since I have changed my splitter, but still experiencing some issues, hopefully they will be able to fix it since they acknowledged problems with my modem.

Thats great someone is reaching out to help.

Do you have RJ59 or RJ6 coax cable??? RJ59 is thinner. Also check to see if all your coax connectors are properly crimped. Not sure about your wiring or yard environment but if there is any damadge to the coax line sometimes outside and moisture gets in your screwed unless it can be located. In that case a Cox tech needs to signal test at your house between points.

I would also be sucpicious of a bad modem. Normally cable companies send out replacement cable modems like candy. Does not hurt to try.

Easiest bet is to call and complain about bad picture quality "snow" etc. to get them to come out and check the lines.

I will have to check the cable going from the splitter directly to the modem. When I purchased a new splitter the other night, I did buy a new RJ6 cable to go directly from the wall to the modem. I may move my modem closer to the jack and if I do that buy another RJ6 cable to go directly into the modem.

I live in an apartment complex, so I am not sure how good the lines are, if I had to guess, probably not good. This is a very old aparment complex and we have lived here for 10 years and I do not know if they have ever upgraded the wiring. I know a few months ago there was a notice on our building that they were going to update the switches for our building.

Currently the cable modem is connected to a 15 foot cable and if I had to guess its probably an RJ6 cable. I need to go to the cable company one night this week or this weekend and return the old telephone box to them since I dont have phone through them anymore, when I do, I will take my modem with me and see if I can get them to replace it.

I do not have snow, but I do have pixelation on some channels, so I do think there is a definitely problem with the signal to my apartment. I am on the ground level and not too far from the outside box that the cable switches are.

As for the person that is reaching out, he wants me to run the viop test with and without the ooma connected and I will do that tonight with the new switch and cable attached.
#47218 by amoney
Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:28 pm
Ive seen RJ59 installed in new and old, etc. I dont understand why they even make it, it may as well be used as ancient BNC connector coax computer based network cable its so thin.

Anyways, the image of your cable box outside feeding all other apt units, I immediatly envison coax cable all tangeled in a a giant ball even kinked in mutiple spots, ugh. Hopefully they will be cleaning things up soon!! Its gotta help!

We are all at the mercy of our ISP. My Comcast sucked untill hurricane Wilma destroyed all the cable, after I think 12 weeks they finally rewired all the affected neighborhoos, my service is now very stable, granted when it goes down its pointless to call, just have to wait it out. And local DSL cant compete with Comcast prices/speed. My buddy was so pissed at Comcast he tried everything to get DSL to work but ATT billing department is too lazy to enable billing for extreme although his next door neighbor has it and the telco tech came out and proved it works for him.

Hang in there, and best of luck.
#47952 by JTalbert
Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:28 pm
Still having problems. Since my last post, I went to Cox and got a new modem. I changed from a Scientific Atlanta to a Moto surfboard modem.

I am still getting crappy QOS

I went to my modems page and here are the specs of the modem.

Frequency 393000000 Hz
Signal To Noise Ratio 37.1 dB
Power Level -5.6 dBmV
The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading

Upstream Value
Channel ID 4
Frequency 28100000 Hz
Power 48.0 dBmV

And the results from my voip test.

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 3.7 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 2.9 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 9448280 bps
Upload speed: 3140424 bps
Quality of service: 52 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum download pause: 287 ms
Average download pause: 2 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 15 ms
Average round trip time to server: 18 ms

Guess next step is call Cox and have them come out and test the signal coming into my apartment. All of this problem is making is very discouraged, and I know Ooma is probably praying that my problems continue and I will give into defeat and turn int my Ooma with all the complaining I have been doing. No moderators have offered any help in any of my posts even when I specifically request it.
#47954 by amoney
Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:06 pm
Unfortuanelty there is nothing Ooma can do, it is basicly an ISP issue. You may get lucky having a good customer experience with Cox coming out and finding a solution. But if the apartment cabling is fubar, your only other option would be to switch to DSL.

My upstream power level value is 31. Not sure how much you can take that value as a comparison, but it does seem as thought your modem is working hard.
#48383 by Soundjudgment
Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:27 pm
JTalbert wrote:Quality of service: 52 %.

Sigh...

When is Verizon FiOS service due to arrive in your area?
#48384 by JTalbert
Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:37 pm
It avail now in certain areas. I live in an old community that Verizon has not graced us with Fios yet, and doubt they ever will. So tonight I call Cox and try to get them to come out and take a look at my signal.
#48624 by Soundjudgment
Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:23 pm
Don't give up hope. If you have a copper-line running from your phone-company to your house, you will one day have FiOS (or equivalent). This isn't a matter of *if* it is a matter of *when.* Copper is dead, and soon all served under copper to a CO, will instead have light-fiber put in its place (even in rural areas) as long as there are 'telephone poles' outside, or underground utilities. It will travel up to a building de-mark and in many cases, the interior wiring as well. Some de-marks will switch it over to Ethernet (and/or coax), first.

I know the 'cable' company(ies) don't like to admit all that to their customers, but it will still happen. Hence the cables are rapidly pushing out DOCSYS 3.0 everywhere they can (and hoping people will upgrade their modems) to regain the speed 'edge.'
#48703 by JTalbert
Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:19 pm
Here is an update. The support I was getting via email was good, but after he passed me on to another contact and I never heard anything after 5 business days, I used my ace card. I have the contact email for a VP for Cox who assisted me in the past with an issue. I had cc'ed her on my last email to the tech that was helping me via email saying I had not heard anything since he passed me off, and if I should call local support or what was going on. I Was not looking forward to explaining my problems, what i have done, what tests have been run and so on. So within 2 hours of emailing the VP I got a response about 8pm that night, the following morning I got a call from a experienced tech who came out today and working on my issue. He told me the power level for my upstream of 48 was within spec, but barely , if it would have been 48.5 or higher than that would have been out of spec. He found some issues with the connection coming in the apartment. Cox upgraded the coaxial outside our builing late this year and since we use to have a dual coax system years ago, the contractor, since he could not get into our apartment, did not know the active coax so he put a splitter outside, So I had a -3.5dBv drop coming into the apartment. With the splitters I had, the two -3.5 drop , on teh cable side, there should have been a total of a 7dbv drop and it was 10, which with the splitter outside explains the extra drop. HE took off the splitter, hooked the proper cable up, made a change to the box outside to put us on a higer frequency feed and also looking at the amps feeling our buidling to make sure the singal is within spec, he thinks it is , but on the low end so if it is, he will made adjustments to that.

I ran some new voip tests and wow what a difference. I think our problems hopefully will be in the past and I can truely start enjoying my Ooma service and get the stress out that I have had due to my wife, and inlaws.. lol

the new voip test I ran has the following results...

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 4363704 bps
Upload speed: 3338712 bps
Download quality of service: 91 %
Upload quality of service: 99 %
Maximum TCP delay: 104 ms
Average download pause: 5 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 92 ms
Average round trip time to server: 95 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 24000000bps
Download TCP forced idle: 77 %
Number of VoIP lines supported: 163

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.6 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 1.0 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.1

much better QoS adn higher MOS score not sure what that is, and much lower jitter!

WOO!

Here is my new data from my modem. Much better power on the upstream end. Modem is not working as hard anymore

Downstream Value
Frequency 393000000 Hz

Signal To Noise Ratio 37.2 dB

Power Level 1.5 dBmV
The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading

Upstream Value
Channel ID 2
Frequency 21100000 Hz
Power 40.5 dBmV
#48726 by murphy
Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:54 pm
You now have excellent values.
It always helps to get the weak links out of the chain.