This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#46286 by Aveamantium
Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:14 am
You don't allocate how much goes to Ooma (unless you have a Hub and not a Telo then it has an extra pull down menu to identify the bandwidth allocation. For this just use the default in the pull down menu). Instead you tell it how much bandwidth you have total and it will reserve some for the Ooma device and give the rest to the LAN. Note that this only occurs during a telephone call, when not on a call the QOS is off. See this...
https://www.ooma.com/support/knowledgeba ... ty-service
#46297 by canaanskier
Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:57 am
Thank you but it does not address my question. I needed to be clearer in what I was asking. I have ooma connected to one of the ethernet ports on my wireless router. The router not ooma controls QOS. I have given ooma highest priority but I also wanted to know how much of my upstream bandwidth I should allocate to the ooma device.

Thanks!
#46368 by luntam
Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:10 pm
I just got off a hour meeting using the Ooma phone and the voice quality was excellent. I have a 12mb down and 1.5mb up connection with Uverse. During the call, I ran a speedtest and my download is 2mb down and 0.5mb up. This mean Ooma was consuming 10mb down and mb up during my call. Why is Ooma consuming so much bandwith when it only needs 40kb each way? Way too excessive. In the Ooma router setting, it's 384kb up and 0 (disabled) down. I changed it to 768kb up and 0 (disabled) down. I'm thinking of changing to 768kb up and 4084kb down to see what happen.
#46371 by Aveamantium
Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:32 pm
luntam wrote:I just got off a hour meeting using the Ooma phone and the voice quality was excellent. I have a 12mb down and 1.5mb up connection with Uverse. During the call, I ran a speedtest and my download is 2mb down and 0.5mb up. This mean Ooma was consuming 10mb down and mb up during my call. Why is Ooma consuming so much bandwith when it only needs 40kb each way? Way too excessive. In the Ooma router setting, it's 384kb up and 0 (disabled) down. I changed it to 768kb up and 0 (disabled) down. I'm thinking of changing to 768kb up and 4084kb down to see what happen.

For grins set it at 10800 kbps down (90% of your down) and 1350 kbps up (90% of your up). This assumes that you've tested these speeds to be accurate? From here Ooma should set aside about 130 kbps and give the rest to your LAN. Setting it to "0" to disable doesn't seem to work for most people.
#46984 by ibradly
Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:16 pm
Hi all,

I just purchased an Ooma Telo this evening and have it all set up, no problems. I have a QoS question that seems to be somewhat along the same lines as this thread so I thought posting here would be appropriate.

I opted to put the Telo behind my router and have my router handling QoS, giving highest priority to the Ooma Telo. My question is this, should I:
A. Leave the Telo's (setup.ooma.com) QoS settings at their default values of 384kb up and 0 (disabled) down.
B. Set both values to 0 (disabled) since the Telo is behind my router.

My home is pre-wired with CAT5e and my cable modem sits in an OnQ panel box along with my router so that's the main reason the Telo is behind the router. Besides the fact that it looks so nice sitting on my kitchen counter and not hidden away in a panel box in the closet. :D
#46985 by murphy
Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:20 pm
ibradly wrote:Hi all,

I just purchased an Ooma Telo this evening and have it all set up, no problems. I have a QoS question that seems to be somewhat along the same lines as this thread so I thought posting here would be appropriate.

I opted to put the Telo behind my router and have my router handling QoS, giving highest priority to the Ooma Telo. My question is this, should I:
A. Leave the Telo's (setup.ooma.com) QoS settings at their default values of 384kb up and 0 (disabled) down.
B. Set both values to 0 (disabled) since the Telo is behind my router.

My home is pre-wired with CAT5e and my cable modem sits in an OnQ panel box along with my router so that's the main reason the Telo is behind the router. Besides the fact that it looks so nice sitting on my kitchen counter and not hidden away in a panel box in the closet. :D

If nothing is connected to the Telo's Home port, it doesn't matter what they are set to since there is no traffic to throttle.
I set both of mine to 0 so that chunk of firmware in the Telo is never used.