This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#46048 by da-cam
Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:25 pm
I have been using the Ooma with mixed results for 5 months. I may have to give up soon (my wife's preference) unless someone has a clever new suggestion. I have looked over these forum discussions and not found much. My setup:
AT&T DSL, provided via one phone line, split at junction box onto a unique pair in house. AT&T provided me with a 2wire combined modem/router, 2700HG-B. The problem: while I can always hear the other person perfectly, but they can't hear me b/c of static, echo, dropped sound etc. It generally happens when the conversation lasts longer than 5 minutes, but sometimes it is as soon as I pick up the phone. When the problem occurs, calling back has no effect. I have tried to power cycle my hub, router/modem and reestablish my modem's configuration. Each of these solutions has had minor effect but not long lasting effect. Ooma is distributed in our house wiring to all phones by plugging the "phone" port from the hub directly into our wall. (We ported our number to Ooma, so the line (pair) is now dead.) My stats for the VOIP simulations are as follows:

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.1 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 0.9 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.2

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 2512528 bps
Upload speed: 433216 bps
Download quality of service: 99 %
Upload quality of service: 44 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 11 ms
Average download pause: 4 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 22 ms
Average round trip time to server: 24 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 2880000bps
Route concurrency: 1.1462559
Download TCP forced idle: 0 %
Maximum route speed: 23830904bps

While it gave me "green" lights for everything, I just had to hang up b/c the other person could not longer understand what I was saying. Any help would be appreciated.
#46051 by Groundhound
Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:36 pm
The problem you describe sounds like something to do with your upsteam connection. How are your computers connected? Since your router is ahead of your Ooma Hub, QoS prioritization would need to be set in the router.
#46055 by da-cam
Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:18 pm
2 computers and the hub are connected (in parallel) to 2wire modem/router. I have an additional switch connected to the router for 2 additional machines and printer. I have not found in my 2wire setup anyplace to address "QoS priority". The following are my only settings/options:
Connection Type: PPPoE
ATM Circuit Id, VPI: 0, VCI:35
ATM Encapsulation: Bridged LLC
ATM PVC Search Enabled
PPP on Demand: 0 minutes
Use built in hardware address
Obtain IP automatically
Obtain DNS info automatically
Force Upstream MTU: 1492
SL Connection Details
DSL Line (Wire Pair): Line 1 (inner pair)
Protocol: G.DMT Annex A
Downstream Rate: 3008 kbps
Upstream Rate: 512 kbps
Channel: Fast
Current Noise Margin: 16.0 dB (Downstream) 21.0 dB (Upstream)
Current Attenuation: 45.3 dB (Downstream) 25.5 dB (Upstream)
Current Output Power: 14.8 dBm (Downstream) 11.9 dBm (Upstream)
DSLAM Vendor Information: Country: {0x00} Vendor: {ALCB} Specific: {0x00}
PVC Info: 0/35

Additional thoughts/suggestions?
#46057 by Groundhound
Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:32 pm
Your upstream bandwidth may be a bit small to support 4 computers and Ooma too without being able to set QoS. You may want to look at a different router that would let you have that control or step up your DSL speed tier.
#46059 by da-cam
Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:55 pm
I am a bit loath to buy another device, not knowing if it will work and then I would have to disable my wireless (provided by the 2wire). What if I plugged only the hub into 2wire, connect my switch (with the all other devices then connected to that) to the home port of the hub and use the hub's QoS. Would that work? (I already increased my dsl twice to the 1.5 tier from 750.) Then, only my wireless (which is infrequently, but used) is in parallel with the hub.
#46067 by murphy
Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:21 am
da-cam wrote:I am a bit loath to buy another device, not knowing if it will work and then I would have to disable my wireless (provided by the 2wire). What if I plugged only the hub into 2wire, connect my switch (with the all other devices then connected to that) to the home port of the hub and use the hub's QoS. Would that work? (I already increased my dsl twice to the 1.5 tier from 750.) Then, only my wireless (which is infrequently, but used) is in parallel with the hub.

That is the recommended configuration.
Verify that the house wiring that you are using is truly dead when the ooma is not connected to it. If the DSL signal is still on those wires, that can cause all kinds of problems.
Your DSL signal needs to go from the incoming line directly to the DSL modem and no place else.
#46078 by da-cam
Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:12 am
Is there a difference to plugging in a network switch vs. router in the Ooma hub home port? Is the hub a true router, able to drive an 8 port switch?

I know (confirmed) my house wire is dead when the number was ported to Ooma. The line when dead that day and I got my phone company refund... Our house is wired with 6 distinct pair, Ooma is on one, dsl on another, phone line on a third.
#46082 by murphy
Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:49 am
Yes the hub is a router and can drive an 8 port switch.
#46084 by da-cam
Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:22 am
I will give this a try this weekend. Can't mess with the configuration yet b/c I don't want to upset the cart: my wife's home business operation. I really hope changing the order improves Ooma call's outgoing sound. I will report back when it is changed.

thx for your input/feedback/comments.
#46259 by djordjeg
Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:13 am
I have exactly the same problem. Have been using Ooma Telo since october and this is my only problem. It looks like the problem is when you talk little longer, and then it starts breaking up. I can here everybody perfectly, but people on the other side of the line cannot here me , the signal is breaking up etc. If I hang up and try to call again, it tells me that i don't have second line enabled?! I do have only one line but why is the first line unavailable when I pick up? This doesn't happen all the time, but is very frustrating, and my wife, who telecommutes from home wants to get rid of it. I have cable internet and my download speed is around 11Mbps and upload is around 0.6 Mbps acording to SpeedTest.net. I think my upload speed should be liitle faster, but I had Voip phone service form my cable company before I switch to Ooma and I never had any issues with the same cable modem. I tried putting Ooma in front my router(connected to cable modem) and behind my router, but I got the same problem. Any pointers at fine tuning Ooma to fix this issue?

Thanks