This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#45916 by JamRowZ
Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:28 am
I just finished setting up my ooma hub. We have a DSL modem/router and I set everything up according to their recommended instructions.

At the moment for testing purposes, I have one corded phone attached to the hub. When I pick up the phone I get a loud buzzing over the dialtone. When I make a call the buzzing is in the background on both ends making it difficult to hear. I'm not sure if this is a common issue with an easy fix because I did something wrong, bad equiptment or means that VOIP won't work for us,

I would love to get rid of a monthly phone bill, but need good call quality on ooma to make this work.
#45918 by JamRowZ
Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:53 am
I did a search of the archives and have a few details to add.

We aren't using land line integration and at the moment don't have anything plugged into the phone jacks in the wall.

Our setup is

DSL (Verizon 3mb) > DSL modem router > ooma hub > corded phone

I tried changing the brightness on the ooma hub to see if it affects the buzzing and it doesn't affect the tone or volume of the buzzing on either end.

The power supply is plugged into an extension cord which is plugged into the only outlet in the room.

I haven't tried making a call while doing something on a computer yet.

The router gives a wifi signal and that's how we connect with one computer. The other computer is now connected to the ooma hub via and ethernet cable.

Both computers have been off for my test calls.

Our building is old and it would surprise me if our electrical system is completely up to current code, but we've never had issues before with anything else and have extension cords all over the place to create additional "outlets". It's totally possible that it's a grounding issue I've seen referred to elsewhere since the AC adaptor doesn't have a third prong (but our outlet does).
#46113 by JamRowZ
Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:43 pm
Is this a unique problem. I found one reference in the forums to someone needing a three pronged adapter, but nothing else?

I was surprised to get no suggestions after this long!
#47053 by JamRowZ
Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:22 pm
I've run a speedtest and got the following results. I've run it several times and these seem about average.

When I run a speedtest and pingtest, I get at worst 2.5 Mb/sec download and 0.6 Mbs/sec upload, and 51 ms ping, jitter 5 ms and 0% packet loss. I don't think the issue is from our internet connection, although when I run the test at http://myspeed.visualware.com/servers/hpn.html, it gives me a QoS between 43%-61% which suggests something may be wrong. Here's the full set of results.

Download speed 1396 Kbps
Upload speed 657 Kbps
D/load QOS 50 %
U/load QOS 99 %
RTT 35 ms
Max Delay 491 ms
Avg Delay 9 ms
Max Bandwidth 2800 Kbps
Route Speed 14979 Kbps
Forced Idle 0 %
Route Conc 2.0

Could the QoS of 43-61% be causing my buzzing? Is this something I should take up with Verizon DSL?

The speed numbers and jitter and packet loss numbers look great for VoIP from what I've read.

Please respond, even it it's to say you have worse numbers and no problem.
If the issues with my hub, I'll happily exchange it.

Thanks!
#47061 by Groundhound
Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:01 pm
Your Max Delay is too high, which you obviously know since you highlighted it in red. High variability on your connection would tend to result in broken or garbled voice quality or dropped calls, not buzzing. If you have removed power connections as a possibility, try a different phone.
#47158 by JamRowZ
Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:38 am
Thanks for suggesting I try another phone. Since we had hooked a corded phone up to the hub, it hadn't occurred to me that the phone might be the problem.

The buzzing went away with a change of phone. When I changed it back to the one we originally had hooked up the buzzing was gone which suggests it was an issue with how the phone was connected.

I made a few test calls and they sounded good. When I run additional tests, the max delay seems to vary by which site I choose and the closest site is worse than sites farther away. Should I not worry about it if I'm not having problems with it? Would I need some longer test calls to be sure?

Thanks for your help.
#47183 by Groundhound
Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:11 pm
JamRowZ wrote:I made a few test calls and they sounded good. When I run additional tests, the max delay seems to vary by which site I choose and the closest site is worse than sites farther away. Should I not worry about it if I'm not having problems with it? Would I need some longer test calls to be sure?

Glad you have the problem cleared up. I wouldn't worry about the max delay number unless you start having problems with calls.