This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#45649 by mikee
Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:28 pm
Hi -

I've had an ooma telo for about 3 weeks. call quality has been very good but I've had about 10 reports that when they call my ooma phone number they get a message "The number you are calling is not in service" when they dial it. My wife just called our number and got the message as well.

I've emailed support but after a week of waiting I'm guessing they won't return the email.

Anyone else know anything about this sort of issue?

thanks for any advice.

Mike
#46971 by ooma1113
Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:25 pm
I had this issue with two friends calling my number. It turned out that both had comcast cable and comcast had not maintained their database thus making it impossible for them to call me. Ironically while in Jacksonville Florida during November visiting my friend he received a robo call from comcast stating they would be updating their database. The next day he and my other friend were able to call my OOMa number. Don't know if this is same issue for you but good luck. :D
#47022 by mikee
Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:57 am
Thanks for the reply but I'm not sure what the "comcast database" is???

My situation is people calling my Ooma number from a landline or cell phone and they're getting a message that my ooma number is not in service. I guess this could happen if there was a blip in my internet service. This is something that I hadn't really though much about but if my internet service dies - what happens to incoming calls? What message does the user get?
#47025 by Groundhound
Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:22 am
mikee wrote:Thanks for the reply but I'm not sure what the "comcast database" is???

My situation is people calling my Ooma number from a landline or cell phone and they're getting a message that my ooma number is not in service. I guess this could happen if there was a blip in my internet service. This is something that I hadn't really though much about but if my internet service dies - what happens to incoming calls? What message does the user get?

You should report the problem you are having to customer service by calling them. You can set call forwarding on Internet outage to your cell phone in my.ooma. If this is not set then calls should go to voicemail if your Internet service is out. It can take several minutes for Ooma's servers to "know" your Internet is out before calls are either forwarded or sent to voicemail.
#47040 by Nick
Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:25 am
I have the same problem "The number you are calling is not in service" when calling from a landline or cell phone to my Ooma phone number. Out going call works fine with my Ooma just incoming call from landline or cell phone get this message that the number is not in service.

I spend an hour each with two different Tech Support yesterday troubleshooting over the phone and resetting the Ooma Hub and told me poblem was fixed after they call me to my Ooma successfully. They where properly calling me using Ooma which always work from Ooma to Ooma.

Problem finally resolved after I call the third time and spoke to Andy Tech Support 1-(888)771-6662 PST and have my Ooma phone number changed to a new number. You must stress and tell Tech Support that they need to use cell phone or third party phone to call your Ooma phone number to get message "The number you are calling is not in service" and not use their Ooma to call your Ooma phone number. And finally have somone or use a third party phone other than Ooma to test your incoming Ooma phone number.
#47167 by ooma1113
Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:26 pm
mikee wrote:Thanks for the reply but I'm not sure what the "comcast database" is???

Comcast is a cable phone provider and they maintain a database which allows the systems to communicate with each other. I know everyone would like to point the finger @ OOMA but possibly the problem is with the other end. NOt positive but just some thoughts.