This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#45092 by kb4ob
Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:25 pm
Incoming calls for my second number are either ringing only once and dropping or dropping after the call is connected.
My son uses the second number to call me toll free since it is in his calling area and many times my phone will ring once and then hangup while he simply gets a fast busy on his end.
About 50% of the time his calls to me are also dropped about 5 to 10 minutes into our conversation.

I have also had ocassional incoming calls dropped from my primary (ported) number but not as frequently.

I have my Ooma Telo behind a Linksys WRT54G router connected to Time Warner Cable modem. The router is running latest version of DD-WRT software and QOS is set to provide PRIORITY service to the Ooma Telo.

My tested network speeds are fairly consistently 950kb up and 9600 KB down. DD-WRT QOS is set for 850KB up and 7500KB down.

My VOIP Speed test from my personal computer is below:
VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 2.5 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 1.2 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.1

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 7528768 bps
Upload speed: 822440 bps
Download quality of service: 83 %
Upload quality of service: 98 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket

This computer is connected to another port on router that has been configured for EXPRESS service in DD-WRT which is one step below the Ooma PRIORITY service.
I have a Blu-Ray player for Netflix that is also configured for EXPRESS service but it was not active during any of the dropped calls.
Everything else on my network is configured for STANDARD OQS in DD-WRT.
#48381 by Dragnet
Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:01 pm
I just started experiencing a similar problem on 2/22/2010 in the afternoon. All incoming calls on both numbers are being dropped. I called OOMA support today, and they performed some tests. It appears that only Restricted Unavailable calls are being dropped. This happens even when the blacklist is disabled. I was told by OOMA support to reset my box. I will try this and see if the problem is fixed.
#49135 by Dragnet
Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:56 pm
Dragnet wrote:I just started experiencing a similar problem on 2/22/2010 in the afternoon. All incoming calls on both numbers are being dropped. I called OOMA support today, and they performed some tests. It appears that only Restricted Unavailable calls are being dropped. This happens even when the blacklist is disabled. I was told by OOMA support to reset my box. I will try this and see if the problem is fixed.

I reset the box by disconnecting power. I reapplied power after one hour. The next day I tried the call again (from a restricted/unavailable phone) and got the same results. In my call log it appears like a 2 second inbound call. What I hear is 2 rings, followed by silence, and finally the call ends. In checking the call log, I see other restricted unavailable calls, but they appear as missed calls.

By the way, I have 3 Telos, and this particular Telo is the only one affected. I think that I will make arrangements with OOMA to exchange this one.
#49231 by Dragnet
Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:34 pm
I found the problem. This Telo was connected to a fax line. Although I have no blacklists or blocked lists, the fax machine was setup to block anonymous calls. The fax machine is programed for distinctive ring. However, even with distinctive ring, it rejected all anonymous calls, regardless of the ring type. I reprogrammed the fax machine to accept all calls, so now everything is working fine. Thanks to all.
#49821 by kb4ob
Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:32 pm
Still having the same problem a month later. Today, my wife's sister called her and the incoming call was dropped 4 minutes and 21 seconds into the conversation. Wife called her back and the talked for another 29 minutes without issue.

I ran the VOIP test again and achieved results close enough to my initial post to avoid re-posting same.

This is becoming a consistent issue..........