This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#43971 by fthomasson
Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:07 pm
I activated my Ooma Telo about 3 weeks ago. I have a problem, I hope I can state it succinctly. Here is my setup
Integrated modem/router -----> Telo (home port) ---->Computer
Uniden 6.0 Dect cordless phone plugged into the phone port. Nothing is plugged into the Telo wall port. I will keep my existing phone system until I'm satisfied with Ooma. I ran several speed tests. Here are the average results:

Downstream ---- 20.1 Mbps
Upstream ---- 4.1 Mbps
Packet Loss ------ 0.0 % (both ways)
Jitter ------ 1.0
Delay ----- 82 ms
Comcast is my cable provider.
QoS settings I am using: downstream = 0 upstream = 3400 kbps

Based on the test results shown above and everything I have read on this forum, I expected to get good call quality. After three weeks of service I am disappointed. I have had mixed results. When I call my son in California or my daughter in North Carolina (I live in Savannah,GA), the call quality is good. I have not given out my Ooma number yet. The only local call I get is when I ask my wife to call from downstairs (local incoming call). Well, I did get one wrong number. The call quality on local calls (from my wife) is also good. The problem is when I make outgoing local calls. The first thing I notice is that the delay before I get the first ring is 20 seconds. When I use Ooma to call my existing phone, there is the 20 second delay and then my phone rings. There is also a delay in the voice that makes conversation difficult. The voice quality is not good.

I don't understand why my local outgoing calls are so poor and all of the others are satisfactory. Does anyone have any suggestions. I like Ooma and I think this problem can be overcome. But I am keeping my existing phone (CenturyTel) line until this problem is resolved.

I have not called CS yet. The best expertise seems to be on this forum.

Thanks
#43998 by Groundhound
Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:40 pm
fthomasson wrote: The problem is when I make outgoing local calls. The first thing I notice is that the delay before I get the first ring is 20 seconds. When I use Ooma to call my existing phone, there is the 20 second delay and then my phone rings.

Are you dialing 10 digits?
#44024 by fthomasson
Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:56 am
Thanks Groundhog,

I was not using 10 digit dialing for local calls. Using 10 digits the phones rings immediately. The call quality sounded good for the one call I made (to my wife downstairs. I will post again about the call quality after I have more experience with my local calls.