This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#43950 by jdorin
Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:41 pm
I am experiencing frequent FAX-sending problems. The attempts just terminate randomly somewhere in the middle of a transmission. I suspect that the recipient FAX machine is hanging up, probably from perceived loss of carrier.

I know you don't have control over the Internet's packet/carrier loss tendencies, but is there a way to configure the receiving FAX machine to wait longer before assuming loss-of-carrier and hanging up?

I am a software engineer and I have programmed such configuration-setting commands to initialize a receiving modem's settings at the beginning of a communication .. can this kind of initialization take place at the beginning of a FAX transmission?

It took 4 or 5 attempts yesterday to deliver all of 3 pages of a FAX yesterday, to a local recipient on the same area code and exchange as my yet-to-be-ported-to-Ooma phone number.

Yes, I know to precede the outgoing FAX phone number with *99.
#47284 by jdorin
Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:38 am
How to make those suggested BAUD and ECM settings :?:

I'm not using a separate/physical FAX machine. I'm FAXing directly from a FAX client (Microsoft 2004 Word for Mac) inside my computer (a MacIntosh). And so, there are just four pieces of equipment that might offer the opportunity of making the suggested changes: my -
1. Mac (iMac PowerPC G5 (the non-Intel version), Leopard OS X v10.5.8)
2. Ooma hub
3. router (Netgear)
4. modem (Clear WiMax)

Here's how they're wired:

[Clear WiMax modem] <HardwiredTo> [Netgear router] <HardwiredTo> [Mac, Ooma Hub]

Where can I make the BAUD and ECM changes :?:
#47289 by amoney
Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:11 am
Im not entirely familar with Apple OS but I would assume to go your settings, and look for your modem for options.
#47293 by jdorin
Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:28 am
Thanks again, amoney, for responding :D

I've visited my Mac's modem setup pages, and there're a lot of settings there, but none speak of BAUD nor ECM.

With your reply, however, I'm now focusing my attention on my Mac's settings, as opposed to settings possibly configurable with the other three: Clear WiMax modem, the Netgear router, or mama Ooma, herself.

I guess I was getting distracted with so much OomaForum QoS chatter, which was leading me to think QoS settings were an Ooma capability :?
#47327 by amoney
Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:31 am
jdorin wrote:Thanks again, amoney, for responding :D

I've visited my Mac's modem setup pages, and there're a lot of settings there, but none speak of BAUD nor ECM.

With your reply, however, I'm now focusing my attention on my Mac's settings, as opposed to settings possibly configurable with the other three: Clear WiMax modem, the Netgear router, or mama Ooma, herself.

I guess I was getting distracted with so much OomaForum QoS chatter, which was leading me to think QoS settings were an Ooma capability :?

The Ooma (hub or Telo) is capable of QOS, but its your router in your setup that manages your traffic. So go into your netgear to check QOS settings, you can referrence the Ooma for its default setings as a baseline.

Note if your phone calls are good quality you may not be able to hear an improvement in voice qulaity hoever that is not to say that QOS may help data such as your fax machine successfully transmit.
#47840 by sfhub
Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:55 pm
jdorin wrote:I've visited my Mac's modem setup pages, and there're a lot of settings there, but none speak of BAUD nor ECM.

Sometimes there is a Hayes AT command set or extension to set the baud rate and/or ECM. However modern OSs abstract the device so far from the user it is sometimes hard to figure out how to enable it.

Also you could (for testing purposes) have the receiving side set the baud rate and ECM. The devices should negotiate a common set of settings upon connection.

Have you tried eliminating Clear WiMax (again for testing purposes) from the equation and using fixed broadband service?

Sometimes WiMax can have high latency causing degraded quality. I remember seeing a thread about WiMax and Ooma but didn't read what peoples' experiences were.

Also you can try running a VOIP test on your existing WiMax:
http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html

EDIT:
Found a recent thread on WiMax (there are probably others)
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5906