This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#43483 by josephgp
Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:00 am
Hi,

I have dry loop dsl--->modem\router-->ooma hub-->uniden wireless phone hub (2 handsets). No wall jacks used.
Also have modem\router--->2 computers (ethernet and wifi).

I keep getting dropped calls daily - mostly as soon as I pickup. Some after being into the call 10-15 mins get dropped.

Voice quality is fine (no echo or disturbances). Ooma support asked me to do bunch of tests and setup upstream QOS but that didn't help either. So I removed it.

Some additional points:

>I use the internet quite a bit, and have never seen slowdowns during the day - or on any of the voip or bandwidth tests.

>The calls get dropped even when there is no net usage anywhere in the house.

>I keep hearing a click sound from the hub every 10 mins or so (like it has a relay switch inside or something).

>Previously had Vonage - same setup - with no issues whatsoever (other than price).

Here are the Whichvoip test results:

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.1 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.5 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 2877664 bps
Upload speed: 736512 bps
Download quality of service: 99 %
Upload quality of service: 99 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 13 ms
Average download pause: 9 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 83 ms
Average round trip time to server: 83 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 5760000bps
Route concurrency: 2.0016236
Download TCP forced idle: 0 %
Maximum route speed: 6316624bps

Any help is greatly appreciated.. thanks!!

JGP
#43526 by Bill D
Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:09 am
JGP, - - In the past, when I had DSL, I had a similar problem which I identified by looking at my Siemens 4100 DSL modem logs. I believe the default IP address for the modem was was 192.168.0.1 and you needed to enter the access code printed on the bottom of the modem to enter the "advanced" mode.

My modem was retraining every few days (sometimes a few times per day) and briefly interrupting Internet service which wasn't noticed by web surfing, but it instantly dropped my VOIP calls (and may cause your Ooma backup modem to click).

When I pointed out the logs to AT&T, they did some line tests followed by digging in a neighbor's yard, after which the DSL modem logs showed uninterrupted service with an occasional retrain in the middle of the night every several months, which AT&T said was normal and probably due to their maintenance efforts.

I later switched to a Cable modem and recently switched to AT&T U-verse. Both have been solid with clean logs. I also still have a Siemens 4100 DSL modem at my other house which is solid.

Hopefully, this will help you. There's also some great debuggers on this forum, that will probably jump in.

Bill
#43533 by murphy
Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:33 am
Make sure that the box in your DSL modem setup for always on is checked.
Otherwise the modem will disconnect when it thinks there is no traffic.
#43539 by southsound
Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:06 am
I noticed from your post that you use WiFi on at least one of the computers. What frequency does your Uniden cordless operate on? If it is either 2.4ghz or 5.8ghz, that may be the problem. I have a 2.4ghz Plantronics cordless that can take down my network in a heartbeat if it chooses the same channel as my WiFi. That is because the wireless b and g systems use the same frequency range as the 2.4ghz phones. Things may go fine for a while, but when the phone changes channels, bam! Wireless n is in a higher range but is mandated to have legacy connectivity so it can also fall victim. Even the 5.8ghz phones can cause a problem since many use 2.4ghz for control signals. The best bet with a WiFi network would be either a Panasonic or Uniden DECT 6.0 system.