This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#43797 by Groundhound
Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:32 pm
NeonPeon wrote:
PureVoice would definitely help

Will PureVoice be available to all Ooma users or will I need to upgrade to Ooma premier?

I read that "A QoS device like an ATA can help eliminate some of this jitter." at http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html

Does the Ooma telo hub already contain an ATA or is this something I can try adding to my setup?

The Telo (and the Hub) are ATA's, and both include QoS prioritization capabilities - but QoS in this case refers to prioritizing traffic on your network, and will not fix a problem Internet connection. AFAIK, PureVoice will be for all users once deployed.
#43813 by amoney
Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:42 pm
NeonPeon wrote:
PureVoice would definitely help

Will PureVoice be available to all Ooma users or will I need to upgrade to Ooma premier?

I read that "A QoS device like an ATA can help eliminate some of this jitter." at http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html

Does the Ooma telo hub already contain an ATA or is this something I can try adding to my setup?

It is a ATA.

You can not bring your own hardware to Ooma.

I agree about wireless, it can brag about speed all it wants but ultimately a wired connection will always trump.

I however disagree about the phone, if a radio shack phone works great on a landline (in the same wireless environment) it should perform the same on the voip box. Anything else is just a coincidence. Note DECT phones dont make VOIP work better. Its just the next "greatest thing" becuase WiFi (especially bandwidth hog Wireless N) has caused interference issues. So now manufactures inorer to gobble up that freq spectrum have gone backwards and made use out of 1.9 ghz spectrum. We are actually going backwards, lol.
#44303 by NeonPeon
Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:31 pm
Disregard last post. Turns out Clear has already designated ports 5060 - 5065 for Ooma and they're automatically open to all Ooma users. Apparently specifying port forwarding won't help because Ooma is already automatically being forwarded to those ports.

Another suggestion is that I change the codec to G729 which uses smaller packets than the G7.22 codec which seems to be what Ooma uses by default judging from some other posts I have read. My question now is, how do I change the codec that Ooma uses? Haven't been able to find anything on that.
#44433 by daet
Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:25 pm
NeonPeon wrote:Another suggestion is that I change the codec to G729 which uses smaller packets than the G7.22 codec which seems to be what Ooma uses by default judging from some other posts I have read. My question now is, how do I change the codec that Ooma uses? Haven't been able to find anything on that.

The default Ooma codec is iLBC. Packet sizes are 50 bytes for a frame size of 30 ms, and 38 bytes for a frame size of 20 ms. iLBC has better packet loss robustness than other low bit-rate codec such as G.729.A/G.729.E ...

I continue to think that jitter is the major issue with your WiMax connection ....