This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#43458 by NeonPeon
Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:56 pm
Hi, I have been having sound quality problems with my Ooma telo since I got it, I can hear people fine but they report I sound "choppy" or "staccato" on their end and they have trouble understanding me. I am using Clear's new wireless WiMAX service so I'm not sure what the problem is. Upstream issue? All the solutions I've seems so far seem to be geared toward DSL users. My setup is:

Clear Home Modem ---> Ooma Telo ---> Radioshack cordless phone
|------> Eidimax Router ----> Computer
|----> Computer
|----> XBOX 360

Any help you can give would be great thanks!
#43465 by davidm
Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:22 pm
What results do you get when running: http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html ?? Also it appears that your setup has no real QoS whatsoever because it looks like you have some sort of setup where the Ooma connects directly to a port on your clear modem along with your other devices on other ports. You probably need some sort of QoS service somewhere to ensure that Ooma gets the bandwidth it needs, when needed. You may need to change around your configuration a bit such as by putting more of your devices behind a router cable of QoS. If there is a way to do QoS on the clear modem that might be an option as well...
#43476 by Groundhound
Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:40 pm
Or you could configure the QoS settings in Telo's setup, http://setup.ooma.com. By default the upstream QoS is set to 384 Kbps, but that may not be appropriate for your connection. Wireless connections are often not stable enough to support VoIP, but maybe Ooma's upcoming "Pure Voice" feature will help (February).
#43673 by NeonPeon
Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:15 pm
Hi, thanks for the replies. So, first of all the diagram that I used in my first post ended up being misleading because phpBB (this forum) justified my diagram text to the left, making it look like the router is coming straight off the modem, when actually I meant to draw the router coming off the Ooma telo hub. Here's a more accurate diagram of my setup.

Clear Home Modem ---> Ooma Telo ---> printer/fax ---> Radioshack cordless phone
<this should be whitespace> |------> Eidimax Router ----> Computer
<this should be whitespaaaaaaaaaaaaace> |----> Computer
<this should be whitespaaaaaaaaaaaaace> |----> XBOX 360

So I should have QoS service right?

You may need to change around your configuration a bit such as by putting more of your devices behind a router cable of QoS.

Do I need a new router? Currently I am using a Edimax BR-6104K router which looks kind of cheap.

What results do you get when running: http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html ??

I ran the VoIP Speed Test several times. Here are the results of the last test:

Your connections jitter was measured as 15.9 ms, which shows that it is relatively unpredictable, but should nonetheless be able to sustain a constant flow of of data. As such, VoIP conversations should not be broken.

Your connection's packet loss was measured at 0.0%, which indicates that it is accurately transferring data. VoIP conversations should be of good quality.

Your connections MOS score is estimated to be 3.8

Your download speed of 3.33 Mbps is high enough to support a high quality voice of IP conversation.

Your upload speed of 778 kbps is high enough to support a high quality voice over IP conversation.

Your Quality of Service was measured at 50%, which shows that your connection is unable to produce a constant stream of data. This is key to providing a high quality voice-over-IP connection, so sound is likely to be broken.

The results from my previous VoIP speed tests performed within the same hour showed download speeds between 1-3 Mbps, and QoS between 30-50%. Everything always checks out good except for QoS.

Or you could configure the QoS settings in Telo's setup, http://setup.ooma.com. By default the upstream QoS is set to 384 Kbps, but that may not be appropriate for your connection. Wireless connections are often not stable enough to support VoIP, but maybe Ooma's upcoming "Pure Voice" feature will help (February).

I cranked up my Upstream Internet Speed to 3000kbps and my downstream to 1000 kbps. Then I called my parents on the other side of the country. At first they said the sound quality was better than when I called them a few days ago, but throughout the course of the call the quality of sound was not consistent, and I sounded crackly at times and good at other times. They said it still sounds like little pieces of voice data aren't getting through. What can I do to improve my QoS? Thanks so much for all the help so far...
#43674 by NeonPeon
Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:22 pm
One last thing I forgot to address....

"" Wireless connections are often not stable enough to support VoIP ""

All the Truth you'll ever need on this issue.

Clear's new high speed wireless internet utilizes a new technology called WiMAX which, in contrast to WiFi, travels miles and not feet, and is usually about as fast as broadband from cable, dsl, or a T1 network. They advertise average download speeds of up to 6 Mbps and avg upload speeds of up to 1 Mbps. I have performed speed tests on my own connection that had me at over 5 Mbps.

Clear also offers its own VoIP service called Clear Voice, which is supposed to be crystal clear. I know that the WiMAX technology is capable of consistently producing a good quality of sound with VoIP devices, the question is only how well does it work with Ooma?

WiMAX is becoming standard across the globe because of its high speed, low cost, and mobility. Ooma is going to need to make sure its technology works well with WiMAX or they will not sell nearly as many units as (I'm sure) they hoped to in coming years. I like Ooma b/c there's no phone bill, so I hope I can make this work.
#43711 by Soundjudgment
Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:35 am
"" Ooma is going to need to make sure its technology works well with WiMAX ""

Uhhh, no. You are going to have to conclude that the precious wireless WiMAX is not the way to go for good, reliable and consistent VoIP operation. Expect to see similar results in your use of VoIP, whether it is with Ooma or anyone else you might try out. And those fancy new routers and diamond-studded voice codecs aren't going to improve your connectivity to the Internet one-iota. That's where the true problem lies:

"" Your connections jitter was measured as 15.9 ms ""
"" Your Quality of Service was measured at 50% ""

And then you're expecting a Radioshack cordless phone to work with all that?? The actual tests (which does not use Ooma to measure) tell the real story: WiMAX at your location is not the answer for error-free VoIP communications.
#43770 by NeonPeon
Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:00 pm
And then you're expecting a Radioshack cordless phone to work with all that??

Are you saying there is no solution, or that there are phones that would work better than my cheap 5 yr old radioshack cordless phone? The phone was one component I was considering replacing to try and fix this, would plantronics be better?
#43771 by Bobby B
Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:01 pm
PureVoice would definitely help - though I'm not sure to which degree with wireless connections yet. PureVoice adds packet redundancy to the voice media stream, when there's loss detected. We simulated 50% packet loss with a traffic shaper and found the conversation to be pretty clear in these congested conditions.

We're aiming to get PureVoice out within a month.

Groundhound wrote:but maybe Ooma's upcoming "Pure Voice" feature will help (February).
#43784 by NeonPeon
Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:59 pm
PureVoice would definitely help

Will PureVoice be available to all Ooma users or will I need to upgrade to Ooma premier?

I read that "A QoS device like an ATA can help eliminate some of this jitter." at http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html

Does the Ooma telo hub already contain an ATA or is this something I can try adding to my setup?