This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#43241 by JustDad
Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:26 pm
I've been running Ooma for a few weeks now. I have Uniden DECT 6.0 phones. My set-up is Cable Modem (roadrunner) - Ooma Telo - DLink router.

I am not completely satisfied with my call quality and I am wondering if someone could possibly analyze my VOIP test and possibly suggest any improvements I could make. I tend to get a constant hissing sound when calling out and I'd like it crystal clear if possible.

To follow are my results from http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html. Your comments are more than appreciated!

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 3.3 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.9 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 5158408 bps
Upload speed: 488984 bps
Download quality of service: 99 %
Upload quality of service: 99 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 64 ms
Average download pause: 6 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 97 ms
Average round trip time to server: 102 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 21600000bps
Route concurrency: 4.1873384
Download TCP forced idle: 76 %
Maximum route speed: 5404944bps
#43245 by Soundjudgment
Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:52 pm
Nothing really wrong with those results.
#43260 by JustDad
Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:26 am
Good to hear I have a good starting point, but is it possible I have an interference issue with the phone?
#43262 by murphy
Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:35 am
JustDad wrote:Good to hear I have a good starting point, but is it possible I have an interference issue with the phone?

Try a hardwired phone connected directly to ooma instead of the cordless phone to determine if the cordless phone is responsible.
#43308 by JustDad
Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:01 am
I have not had a chance to try the hard wired phone yet, but was thinking, I do have a large CRT monitor about 12" from my Ooma Telo. I wonder if that could be a source of interference as well........
#43309 by kdmc69
Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:07 am
JustDad wrote:I have not had a chance to try the hard wired phone yet, but was thinking, I do have a large CRT monitor about 12" from my Ooma Telo. I wonder if that could be a source of interference as well........

I have a Dell 19" monitor sitting about 12 inches from my Telo. I do not have any interference. I had some problems before when I had the base to my Panasonic cordless telephones sitting that close to my Hub. I moved the base across the room and have had no interference since.
#43565 by Soundjudgment
Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:28 pm
JustDad wrote:I have not had a chance to try the hard wired phone yet, but was thinking, I do have a large CRT monitor about 12" from my Ooma Telo. I wonder if that could be a source of interference as well........

No. Even if it is a CRT as opposed to an LCD, such devices would not generate large enough amounts of RF to cause such an audio-interference noise on the line. Seems more like it could be wireless-phone related.