This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#42500 by onelifetogive
Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:38 pm
I have been occasionally experiencing call echos when I talk, but not always. Ooma support had me set my upstream to 450 and downstream to 200. My speedtest results are consistent = 6.0 Mbs downstream and 935Kbs upstream. I am on a cable modem using a Belkin N Wireless Router(F5D8236-4, version 3000). With these settings I am having trouble surfing while talking on an Ooma call (web pages are very slow to load, looks almost like a dialup page loading). Like others, I also use Skype without any problems at all when on a call and surfing at the same time. The Ooma Hub is setup in front of the cable modem as instructed. Has anyone any ideas why Ooma is using most of my bandwith when on a call thus preventing me from constructively surfing or playing online video games at the same time without issues??? I have reset the Ooma Hub many times and tried various QoS settings to no avail. Tried reducing the volume on the handsets without much success. Would appreciate any/all help to resolve these issues, especially since I have already ported over my home phone number to the Ooma service. Thanks!
#42596 by Soundjudgment
Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:58 pm
Raising or lowering the volume won't do anything. But try instead to place the Ooma box (Hub or Telo... makes no difference) *behind* both the modem and router (plug the Ooma into one of the 4 Router Ethernet-ports if you have them), and not in-between the two boxes. See what a difference that can make.
#42632 by onelifetogive
Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:55 pm
I just completed connecting my Ooma Hub directly into my router, bypassing the modem, as suggested by "SoundJudgement". It initially appears that in this configuration there is no negative impact on my ability to surf the internet as in the configuration recommended in the Ooma setup (with the Hub connected to the modem). I will test the "new" setup while gaming later tonight. For everyones clarification on my current setup I have the Ooma Hub (modem port) connected to my wireless router (wired port 1) and there is no connection on the Ooma Hub in the Home port. Normal configuration between modem/wireless router connections. If I encounter any further issues I will update with another post.
THANKS to "SoundJudgement" for the guidance.
Just an additional update: Played COD4 game for 30 minutes (on computer) while someone else was on the Ooma phone talking and neither parties had any problems. No problems on phone call and no problems being able to play game at same time.
#43924 by onelifetogive
Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:29 pm
Just an update for everyone. Since I plugged the Ooma Hub directly into my router I have encountered no problems with my Ooma service. In addition, while on Ooma I am no longer encountering any slowdowns on my internet use when doing both at the same time. Eight days since I reconfigured my setup and the only thing new users should be aware of when using this setup is that you will not be able to use the Ooma Network Settings webpage for configuration changes since you are going through your router.
#44315 by Soundjudgment
Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:48 pm
You'll probably never have to see that Webpage again. I even forgot what it looks like.