This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#42675 by bohicaIL
Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:34 am
The handset has a cheap feel and look to it. I also could hear a slight hum during silent periods in conversation. But to top it off, my handset died on the 2nd day of ownership. Definitely a case of not getting what I paid for with this... it's being returned today.
#42680 by dadinthecity
Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:15 am
back to the topic. Not only here, but everywhere on-line the telo handset gets terrible reviews. I have had Ooma Telo just less than 60 days and I love it, but I really want that instant second line. and maybe a 2nd number. So my questions are

1. Is there any way to get instant second line with Telo and without a Telo handset?
2. Is there any way to use a 2nd number (which would be free with premier) without a Telo handset?
3. Can I order a 2nd phone number for $5 without premier?
4. Does anyone know if a Ooma retailer like Best Buy can sell you premier with the handset for the $120 total?
#42683 by murphy
Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:22 am
dadinthecity wrote:back to the topic. Not only here, but everywhere on-line the telo handset gets terrible reviews. I have had Ooma Telo just less than 60 days and I love it, but I really want that instant second line. and maybe a 2nd number. So my questions are

1. Is there any way to get instant second line with Telo and without a Telo handset?
NO.
2. Is there any way to use a 2nd number (which would be free with premier) without a Telo handset?
Yes. Without a handset the second number will be shared and ring on the phone connected to the Telo.
If you want to make a call using the caller ID of the second number, prefix the dialed number with **1.

I'm not sure but it would $4.99 per month if you can. That's $59.88 per year. Might just as well subscribe to Premier.
4. Does anyone know if a Ooma retailer like Best Buy can sell you premier with the handset for the $120 total?
To my knowledge no.
#42688 by dadinthecity
Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:42 am
murphy wrote:
dadinthecity wrote:back to the topic. Not only here, but everywhere on-line the telo handset gets terrible reviews. I have had Ooma Telo just less than 60 days and I love it, but I really want that instant second line. and maybe a 2nd number. So my questions are

NO.
Yes. Without a handset the second number will be shared and ring on the phone connected to the Telo.
If you want to make a call using the caller ID of the second number, prefix the dialed number with **1.

I'm not sure but it would $4.99 per month if you can. That's $59.88 per year. Might just as well subscribe to Premier.
To my knowledge no.

Oh, I thought 2nd, 3rd numbers were $4.99 per year. Thanks for clearing that up.
Regarding #2 above: Is it right to assume that although I could call or receive on this 2nd number, I could not use them simultaneously? I want to set my mother-in-law up with service in the next room.
Does a Telo handset have any ability to support a better phone off of it, like a scout would?
#42690 by murphy
Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:52 am
dadinthecity wrote:Oh, I thought 2nd, 3rd numbers were $4.99 per year. Thanks for clearing that up.
Regarding #2 above: Is it right to assume that although I could call or receive on this 2nd number, I could not use them simultaneously? I want to set my mother-in-law up with service in the next room.
Does a Telo handset have any ability to support a better phone off of it, like a scout would?

Without a Telo handset, only one call can be in progress at a time.
The Telo handset does not support anything else. There is no way to connect anything to it.
Bluetooth support was mentioned at the CES show earlier this month. Until it is released, it is anybody's guess how it will work.
#42694 by Groundhound
Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:56 am
dadinthecity wrote:Does a Telo handset have any ability to support a better phone off of it, like a scout would?

No, but there is a solution on the way, just don't know when yet, see this: http://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5798#p41076

Regarding the poor reviews of the Telo Handset, much of that was due to the period when only one handset was supported, an issue which has been resolved. Other software & firmware related issues (contacts, intercom) will likely be resolved soon. The main issue that is not likely to be resolved is the screen quality relative to the advertising copy.
#43649 by jakevinci
Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:55 am
I bought 2 handsets and have been using them for 2 days so far....easy setup and they have been working great so far. I recommend only if you have premier service.
#43922 by CarlG
Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:25 pm
I have to say that I for one am pleased with my handset. Sometimes the sound quality is not optimal, but the same can be said of my other cordless phones. The screen is a bit grainy but certainly readable when illuminated. I have had none of the battery issues that some others have reporeted--in fact I'm suspicious that the battery icon never seems to decrease. I also like the look of it, the tactile buttons (made from the same material that the Telo is made from) and it feels good in my hand. There is a sharp edge surrounding it but that is by no means a showstopper. I had very low expectations when I bought this based on previous reviews and was fully expecting to return it to where I bought it, but I am pleasantly surprised and will keep it. What I like best is that it allows me to view and retrieve my Ooma voice messages from a location remote from the Telo. My Telo is not in a convenient location and this handset virtually moves the Telo into my kitchen.
#43943 by PetalumaRealtor
Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:05 pm
I am sticking with my system. Telo with 4 handsets. Land line integrated. Premier. The system is usable with a few problems. Slight hum in incoming call on line 1 (landline) . Some features do not work yet, but I am sure Ooma is working on these things and service will improve monthly as new releases of firmware are sent. We are all beta testing their progress as we post on this forum. All I can recommend is to stick with it, and be patient. I strongly believe we will end up with the best phone service around. :)