This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#42123 by kelkin
Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:22 pm
I am new to ooma and just purchased the Telo and matching handset. When using the handset, I hear a buzzing sound through the speaker which sounds like electronic interference. I'm not sure if it's a design flaw, or just a defective unit. Do other people hear this electronic nose with their Telo handsets? I don't hear it at all when using my regular cordless connected to the ooma.
-Keith
#42709 by chrisbowden
Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:43 am
Keith,

You may want to read over my debacle with the Ooma Telo Handset that is still ongoing.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5304

My Panasonic cordless system works great with the hub but the Telo Handset that I have is a piece of junk. It appears to be a fairly common issue. There is hope as other users have stated that they have no issue with their Telo Handsets. I'm still waiting on the replacement unit to be shipped from Ooma. If you purchased your's at a store, I would recommend either taking it back for replacement or outright refund.
#42830 by kelkin
Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:56 pm
I just read and replied to it, I feel your pain. I got the same response almost verbatim so I'm expecting not to see anything arriving at my door. I'm going to just take matters into my own hands and return it at best buy and try purchasing one from another store, hopefully from a different lot.
-Keith
#42844 by dsinternet
Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:15 am
I am waiting for a new Handset to arrive after I had the same issue with the first Handset. I will try to let you know if the problem goes away with the new handset. Has anyone solved this problem by getting a new handset? Is it a software issue or hardware issue?
#43833 by kelkin
Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:24 pm
dsinternet wrote:I am waiting for a new Handset to arrive after I had the same issue with the first Handset. I will try to let you know if the problem goes away with the new handset. Has anyone solved this problem by getting a new handset? Is it a software issue or hardware issue?

I called up Ooma for the status of my handset, the rep told me "They're checking into it and you'll hear back from them when they send you a new handset."

I asked, "What exactly are they checking into? My handset is broken, the rep on the phone last week verified that with our troubleshooting, all that's left is for you to send me the replacement and for me to resend the defective one back, so what else is there left to check into?"

His answer was, "I'm sorry sir, those are the only notes that I have. You should be getting a call this week.."

I told them to nevermind since I'd be old and grey by the time I received it based on the posts in the forum and by the service I've been getting from customer service, I'll just take it back to Best Buy and exchange it for another.

Then I made the big mistake of asking the status of my port request... I won't even go there.. It's amazing how this company is staying in business.. I'll be amazed if it's here in 2 years, hopefully I'll get my $250 worth before they're closed.

-Keith
#43836 by dsinternet
Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:33 pm
I got my new handset and still have the same buzzing noise. So if its not the handset, what could it be? I love the Ooma Telo and will live with the buzzing with the handset. Its nice for a second line when the non-ooma handset is being used. If anyone has any idea's on what could be making this buzzing static sounding background noice please let me know. By the way, the people I talk to say that I sound clear and don't hear the noise. Its only on my end.
#43852 by aaplfan
Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:43 pm
I have the same buzzing sound on my Panasonic 2.4ghz phone...it does seem to go away after a while..
#43987 by dsinternet
Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:32 pm
I e-mailed Dennis with my problem and after several e-mail exchanges, it sounds like Ooma knows what the problem is or might be. Here is what he wrote.
"I think I know what you are referring to as the background static noise. It is present on all units. It's called "comfort noise", but may be dialed up too high for some folks. We'll see if there is anything we can do to tune that. We've got a long list of "to-do's" though, so it may take a while to get to it."
I know Ooma is working around the clock to get things working with the Telo. So I am more then happy to wait for Ooma. My Ooma Telo works great as a basic phone with an instant second line. I could not be more happy. The Telo Handset will be the icing on the cake once they get done with all the minor fixes like the Buzzing noise that I hear on the handset.
#44311 by Soundjudgment
Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:41 pm
"I think I know what you are referring to as the background static noise. It is present on all units. It's called "comfort noise", but may be dialed up too high for some folks. ""

Here is the 'comfort noise' which I prefer: NONE. ;)
#44324 by chrisbowden
Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:36 pm
Update:

Well, UPS showed up at my doorstep yesterday with a new Telo Handset. No email or notice, it just showed up. I immediately swapped out the unit and this unit does sound marginally better, but still has the background or "comfort noise" that everyone is talking about now. It's like an overly sensitive mic or something so you get this constant sound in your ear - on both ends with my tests. Overall, this unit is better though, so I'm going to keep it and see if they improve the issue with firmware updates.

I now have another problem though. I registered the handset with my system and it is listed as "Handset 2" and tied to my main number and not to my second number (which is the whole point of having this thing anyway). I went through the forums and found the "factory reset" instructions for the base unit and handset. I deleted the other Telo handset from the system through the web interface and then attempted the reset on the base unit and the reset sequence does not work for some reason. Maybe they've changed it. The reset of the handset works, but it still keeps pulling up as "Handset 2" with my main line.

Bottom line is that I now can't get this handset to work with my second line. Very frustrating. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.