This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#42056 by nathanh
Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:45 pm
I have used ooma for several months and only intermittenly is the quality decent. I have spoken to ooma frequently and they have me do speed tests, etc. and go through the rigamarole of changing the figures on my upload and dowload speed. Sometimes this works for a short time. On my last call, however, the ooma tech told me that it was Time Warners responsibility to correct the "jitter". Well, you can guess what happened with T W. They said that everything on their end was fine. When I called ooma, the tech told me that it was probably TW digging or replacing wires. He also said it was probably a problem with old wiring.
Does anybody have any suggestions?
#42060 by murphy
Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:55 pm
Cable companies do not guarantee anything.
Jitter is not important to them since it has no impact on web browsing or email.
They don't even guarantee that you will get the speed tier that you are paying for.
#42136 by daet
Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:33 am
murphy wrote:Cable companies do not guarantee anything.
Jitter is not important to them since it has no impact on web browsing or email.

Not entirely true - there are lots of cable companies that now offer VoIP phone services - so low jitter is important for them to retain VoIP customers. For example, with Cox cable in southern Louisiana, my jitter is almost always <1 millisecond. Also, Cox (and presumably other cable internet providers) uses managed adaptive jitter buffers for their IP telephony service (again, I know this only for southern Louisiana). I don't know if Ooma does the same.
#42146 by stubeeef
Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:13 am
That is a great test, sometimes everything is green, but my QoS has been yellow and red too.
What can I do to fix the QoS?