This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#41987 by Groundhound
Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:45 am
I assume you wish to change to modem>router>ooma, otherwise it would make no sense to put Ooma in the router's DMZ if Ooma is ahead of the router. If you do make the change and use DMZ just make sure you don't also use the port forward trick in Ooma's setup to view setup from other computers on your network - that would expose your setup to the Internet. If you want to just forward ports without using DMZ, here are the ones you would use (this is an example screenshot of ports forwarded in Tomato router firmware):
portforward.jpg
portforward.jpg (109.13 KiB) Viewed 3153 times

Because port 80 is not forwarded to Ooma in this case, it would be safer than using DMZ which forwards everything. Again this is only relevant for modem>router>Ooma, and even then it may not be needed if you are having no problems.
#41988 by Aveamantium
Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:56 am
Groundhound wrote:I assume you wish to change to modem>router>ooma, otherwise it would make no sense to put Ooma in the router's DMZ if Ooma is ahead of the router. If you do make the change and use DMZ just make sure you don't also use the port forward trick in Ooma's setup to view setup from other computers on your network - that would expose your setup to the Internet. If you want to just forward ports without using DMZ, here are the ones you would use (this is a screenshot of ports forwarded in Tomato router firmware):
portforward.jpg

Because port 80 is not forwarded to Ooma in this case, it would be safer. Again this is only relevant for modem>router>Ooma, and even then it may not be needed if you are having no problems.

Groundhound, you find yourself needing to forward ports with Tomato? I only ask since I'm running both the Hub and Telo behind my router (Tomato) and have not forwarded any ports. Notice any improvement?
#41989 by Groundhound
Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:05 am
Aveamantium wrote:Groundhound, you find yourself needing to forward ports with Tomato? I only ask since I'm running both the Hub and Telo behind my router (Tomato) and have not forwarded any ports. Notice any improvement?

No, I don't really see any difference (which is why I added the last sentence to my post above). I have it in there as a precaution but I've not tested with and without to see if there is any change.
#42097 by tommies
Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:44 pm
JustDad wrote:My set-up is Modem-Ooma-Router. I don't know if this is standard practice or not for best call quality consistency, or if it makes any difference with my set-up.

Thanks!

The short answer is no. The good pratice is try not to use the DMZ feature. IMO, ooma hub/telo initiates the connection to ooma server, so DMZ will not have any effect on the connection--DMZ is for those connections that are initiated from the outside.