This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#41914 by nightjars
Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:34 pm
I recently changed internet providers from Verzon's DSL service to Clear(wire)'s WiMAX service, and now experience choppiness in the outgoing sound. I'm fairly confident that the higher amount of jitter common with wireless technologies is to blame, and thus I was wondering if there was any way to cause Ooma to force a longer buffer for sound to try to mitigate some of this jitter. Other voice over IP options seem to perform better, so I am hoping some minor adjustments might be possible to get this to work slightly better. Any thoughts?
#41921 by ntoy
Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:33 pm
Hello,

Unfortunately, we recommend a wired ISP source for best performance with Ooma at this time. With that said, we do have customers that use wireless ISP's and appear to work for them with occasional delays or drops.

Stay tuned for future developments.
#42208 by adwtex
Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:52 pm
I'm using Ooma with Clear (WIMAX) as well. I too am experiencing quality problems with the outbound voice. I am in the process of trying various QoS settings to determine if it will make any difference. I get good WIMAX signal strength (5-lights), but it seems like call quality can vary from call to call which makes it difficult to determine if changing the Ooma QoS makes any difference. I've been adjusting the reserved bandwidth for calls upward (185 kbps now) to see what impact that will have. I consistently achieve .95-1.0 Gbps upstream using speedtest.net and have the upstream speed set to 768 kbps.

You can try this site to test suitability for VOIP, my results are listed below. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 12.4 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 1.4 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 3.9

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 2168984 bps
Upload speed: 1053000 bps
Download quality of service: 84 %
Upload quality of service: 76 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 142 ms
Average download pause: 13 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 116 ms
Average round trip time to server: 126 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 5840000bps
Route concurrency: 2.692505
Download TCP forced idle: 29 %
Maximum route speed: 4519648bps
#47452 by quantumpot
Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:55 am
I have almost the exact same stats using my Clear Wimax and experiencing the same issues (upstream choppy voice)

Is there any way that the ooma box can be modified to increase the jitter buffer. I don't mind a delay of 100-200 ms but choppy voice is unacceptable.

After reading about Purevoice.. I don't think that will be of any help either

OOMA - you have to do something about this ASAP or you will lose customers. I cannot imagine that a simple configuration fix to increase the jitter buffer or allow the negotiation to choose a higher buffer.. can be that difficult

15 ms is quite an acceptable jitter for VOIP... voice should not break
#47813 by bjdyl
Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:47 pm
I started using the ooma last year of November I think and we tested it for the first time after installation and went fine. And 2 weeks later I noticed the choppy sound every time I call the ooma. I only hear the choppy sound on my end. I thought it’s just temporary but days passed and didn’t change the quality to normal. I started calling the support, we did some troubleshooting and didn’t work still. Finally, they said that it’s because of jitter I'm getting, I’m actually getting 30-40ms or higher than that, sometimes it goes down to 20ms. I already called my ISP and they said they can’t do anything about the jitter. In fact, at first I thought it’s because of my internet speed because I only had basic plan, 300+ kbps download and 1.5 upload speed so I upgraded it to 1MB upload and 10MB download, of course I only get 80-90% of that and unfortunately it didn’t solve my problem at all. The weird thing is I tried connecting it to the other ISP, to the office and my uncle’s house with lower ISP speed and it worked fine. I checked their jitter and it’s less that 10ms. Anyone help me, I believe there is still a way to fix this problem but I just don't know how.
By the way, I have wrt54g linksys router, the ooma is connected between modem and router. I don’t think I have a problem with my ISP speed.
#47838 by southsound
Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:54 pm
bjdyl wrote:I started using the ooma last year of November I think and we tested it for the first time after installation and went fine. And 2 weeks later I noticed the choppy sound every time I call the ooma. I only hear the choppy sound on my end. I thought it’s just temporary but days passed and didn’t change the quality to normal. I started calling the support, we did some troubleshooting and didn’t work still. Finally, they said that it’s because of jitter I'm getting, I’m actually getting 30-40ms or higher than that, sometimes it goes down to 20ms. I already called my ISP and they said they can’t do anything about the jitter. In fact, at first I thought it’s because of my internet speed because I only had basic plan, 300+ kbps download and 1.5 upload speed so I upgraded it to 1MB upload and 10MB download, of course I only get 80-90% of that and unfortunately it didn’t solve my problem at all. The weird thing is I tried connecting it to the other ISP, to the office and my uncle’s house with lower ISP speed and it worked fine. I checked their jitter and it’s less that 10ms. Anyone help me, I believe there is still a way to fix this problem but I just don't know how.
By the way, I have wrt54g linksys router, the ooma is connected between modem and router. I don’t think I have a problem with my ISP speed.

Please don't make multiple posts of the same issue!
search.php?author_id=7653&sr=posts