This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#41038 by Pilm
Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:42 am
i bought my ooma hub last december and have been using it for about a month now. i've been having poor call quality (echo, delay, noise, etc) and looking for how to improve it. unfortunately my dsl connection uses a combination modem/router from verizon, so i'm unable to insert my ooma hub between modem and router. before doing anything i ran a speed test and the results looked very good (see below). so i figured i needed to try to adjust the QoS settings on the modem/router to try to improve call quality. i'm not really sure what to adjust on the modem/router, and i'm sure verizon wouldn't be too interested in helping me optimize my free ooma voip service, so i tried playing with some settings, but so far without any improvement. first thing i changed was under "DSL Settings", where i changed QoS from UBR to CBR, and set PSR to it's max (65534). i didn't notice any change. there are other options like RTVBR, but if selected i need to enter SCR and MBS values, and not sure what those would be. there are also settings for "QoS Upstream Settings" which i haven't played with. for this you need to select low/medium priority weights, rule parameters, source and destination and create rules. i've no idea how to handle these settings and haven't tried anything yet, figuring a complete guess couldn't possibly improve things. finally, the modem has settings for "Static Routing", which i could use i think to make sure the ooma hub is a fixed address if that's important.

misc:
> when i use ooma, i disable the modem/router wireless mode to prevent wireless traffic (i also disable my ethernet linked PC), so basically no other traffic should be competing with voip, yet i still get poor call quality

> modem/router is an actiontec gt704-wg with default settings except for QoS mod above. i found the manual online, but it's not much help with how to optimize viop settings.

speed test results (from: http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html):
VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.3 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.8 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 1001224 bps