This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#40583 by Cozyone
Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:38 pm
My Hub has been up and running since the weekend. Initially the call quality seemed quite good but it's problematic now. There is much static on the line and a noticable delay with mild feedback (echo) on my end. Since those initial calls, I've successfully hooked up my all-in-one FAX via a splitter on the phone port of the Hub. The Hub was installed as recommended and I also have a Lynksis router.

Potential issues:
I have a very old cordless phone connect to the Hub. I know it needs to be replaced with new DECT phones, but I'm still researching which ones I want to buy (and need to wait until Feb. to purchase them). Also on Sunday I upgraded my DSL speed from the basic Verizon to the next level (which is as fast as I can get in my area). I believe the new plan is 768 Kbps upload and either 1.5 or 3 Mbps download. Per the QOS threads I ran a speed test with the following results: Ping 49 ms; Download .48 Mb/s; Upload .37 Mb/s. I'm not sure how to interpret these, but I think they're slow.

I'm trying to figure out if I need to get a decent set of cordless phones to really know about my call quality or if it's more likely a DSL issue I'm dealing with. Any suggestions??
#40601 by murphy
Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:56 am
It sounds like you are paying for higher speeds but not getting them.
Did you power cycle your DSL modem after the upgrade?
#40650 by Cozyone
Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:14 am
No - everything was powered off and back on at the same time (not cycled). I've done that now and the first call I made sounds much better. Will continue to test.

Thanks.
#41955 by Cozyone
Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:29 pm
What kind of speed test readings should I be getting? I worked with Verizon DSL regarding slow speed and all they did was clean out my temporary Internet files. My speed readings are the same, if not slower now. There's certainly been no difference since I upgraded.
#41972 by murphy
Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:45 am
Cozyone wrote:What kind of speed test readings should I be getting? I worked with Verizon DSL regarding slow speed and all they did was clean out my temporary Internet files. My speed readings are the same, if not slower now. There's certainly been no difference since I upgraded.

Your speed test measurements should be at least as high as the plan that you are paying for says they will be.
Run the test with a computer connected to the modem so they can't blame ooma.

How far are you from the phone company central office? DSL degrades with distance.
I'm 5 miles from mine which meant that DSL was not even possible.
#41980 by amoney
Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:46 am
Just a comment about the DECT phones, I believe they operate in the 1.9 freq spectrum. Its interesting previously we were chasing performance by going high up into the spectrum which seemed to work well for bad building environments. I just think its funny that we are going backwords now. The biggest reason for this change is the advent of wifi, and the biggest offender is wireless N. Anyways, point is your next phone does not "have to be" DECT, its more a matter of your particular house structure, other electronics, and a particular brand of wireless handsets that work well together. DECT is more of a "buzz" word. I have had excellent performance from 2.4 and 5.8.

Any particular reason (call quality) why the OP wants to put the Ooma into the DMZ?
#42071 by amoney
Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:23 pm
Cozyone wrote:What is DMZ?

demilitarized zone

aka unprotected

(advanced configuration in the router)

reread, my apologies, I got my threads confused and thought you had mentioned the DMZ.
#42101 by southsound
Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:58 pm
murphy wrote:
Cozyone wrote:What kind of speed test readings should I be getting? I worked with Verizon DSL regarding slow speed and all they did was clean out my temporary Internet files. My speed readings are the same, if not slower now. There's certainly been no difference since I upgraded.

Your speed test measurements should be at least as high as the plan that you are paying for says they will be.
Run the test with a computer connected to the modem so they can't blame ooma.

How far are you from the phone company central office? DSL degrades with distance.
I'm 5 miles from mine which meant that DSL was not even possible.

To add a little to what murphy is saying, you should be getting much better performance out of your DSL connection. I have a 1.5mbps download plan and currently get about 1.25mbps down - well within the specs for that level of service. Your upload and download speeds are no where near what they should be.

I recently had a problem where my service dropped to about 220kbps! I wanted to make sure Qwest could not bill me for a service call so I took my laptop and modem out to the demac box - also called a network interface box - that is outside the house. It is where you can check to see if a problem is with your internal wiring or with the telco. If you unplug the little wire from the jack you can plug a cable in directly to the telco feed. Connect this to your modem and see what your speeds are right at the interface box. Then, reconnect the little wire and check the speeds inside the house. If they are substantially different, you have a wiring problem. We can help you troubleshoot that. But if the speeds are low and are about the same, then either the modem is bad or the DSL signal is not what it should be. I even bought another modem to make sure it was not the modem. Walmart accepts returns for a limited time on these so it might not cost you anything to check it out that way.

In my case, it was poor signal from the telco. They sent out a technician who spent almost an hour testing and determined that the problem was with a feed from their central office to the RTE that serves our home. In fact, there were many people who were getting this dismal service but I was the first to notice and complain. Things are great again. Let us know how your testing comes out.
#42206 by Cozyone
Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:25 pm
I feel like a dork - couldn't get the test to work at the box. I have 2 lines at the box and only 1 line active in the house. It looks like the Line 1 port at the box is the one wired. I plugged the modem line into that Line 1 port at the box and connected the ethernet cable to my laptop. I powered up the modem but couldn't get a DSL signal. I switched to the LIne 2 port and couldn't get a DSL signal either.

Any other ideas - or should I just get on with the tech support Verizon people?